Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  24 yrs. experience in dog training and behavior, pet first aide and therapy dog evaluation. Member of PAS Animal Response Team.
3570977

my dog is 64 days pregnant she has been laying down all day

my dog is 64 days pregnant she has been laying down all day and been licking her private part . i was wondering what are all the signs before she gives birth?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 4 years ago.

Hi Customer

I see you asked a simular question before and spoke to another expert. Dog you want me to put this in as a duplicate and close it or do you have more questions?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes i want you to answer my question.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes i want you to answer my question and we can feel thye babies moving realing close to her private part.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 4 years ago.

Okay generally before birth the temp drops to 99 degrees. Normal temp is between 100.5 and 102.5 so if there is a drastic difference then call your vet. When her temp drops to 99 you can assume that between 12 and 24 hours she should start giving birth. She will become a bit nervous and start looking for a place to have the pups, this is called nesting. So it is important that you don't let her outside on her own as she could drop a pup or have them in an area that you can't get to them. So any outings take her on a leash. Her teats may show some milking as well and she will seem uncomfortable. Once a pup is born she should lick it and clean it, bite off the cord and in some cases the dog eats the cord. I prefer to throw the cord away.

You will be able to see her pushing to have a pup, she will pant heavily, she may lay down to have a pup or she may stand to have a pup. Have everything you need to assist her ready. Have your vet and emergency vet's number handy by the phone. If you need to call they can talk you though stuff you are not sure about.

She can have pups an hour to two hours apart from each other or one every half hour.

Even though she is a day over norm the fact that she is licking herself could very well indicate an infection, not necessarily that she is ready to give birth so I would have your vet check that.

Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience: 24 yrs. experience in dog training and behavior, pet first aide and therapy dog evaluation. Member of PAS Animal Response Team.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok she 64 days pregnat and has been laying down and has been moving to diffrent spots and i have been checking her tempature and has not been ative been siting around like lazying ness . Then i felt the babies moving right next to her private part
Expert:  Sally G. replied 4 years ago.

She may still have a little time and you are feeling the pups moving into the birth canal. Keep a close watch over her the next few days. Set up a quiet area in the home for whelping. You can use a plastic kiddie pool as it makes for easy clean up.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thanks bye