Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts
The vet didnt mention anything much about Sheeba's heart, she was mostly concerned with her lungs. She would not give me a recommendation only said she could refer us for ultrasound to see if operable or put her down soon. I have little money and my dog means the world to me so I am trying to see if I have any options.
Can you post the x-ray?
Thanks for getting back to me.
That is a pretty nasty looking x-ray to say the least. There are a couple of things that have have me worried. As you can tell and your vet has probably told you, the biggest concern is that she sheer size of this mass is literally compressing everything, decreasing the functional area for the lungs to work and could potentially cause her to suffocate. From the views you posted, though its hard to tell without seeing other views, this does not look like a heart based mass and it actually does not really look like a lung-based mass but again, I would need at least one other view to determine it. there is also fluid in the lungs as well. In that area, it could be a lymph node or thymic tumor, abscess, etc. Here is how I would proceed:
I would have your vet take an aspirate of this. With the size and location, this actually would be quite easy and isn't very expensive. Send it off to the lab and see what it is. There is a possibility that, if it is a thymic tumor, surgery would be curative. If it does turn out to be a lung mass, and is primary, then surgery could be curative as well. Aspirates usually take 1-3 days to get back so the sooner the better.
Its hard for me to send you into surgery not knowing what this is or to tell you a treatment plan. This is not an easy surgery, I will tell you that but a dog who is 7 years old, may have a long life to live if the surgery is successful.
I hope that helps a little bit. It isn't an easy decision to make, but you may found that by figuring out what it is first, you can then have a clearer decision to make.
Please let me know if you have any other questions!
Thank you so much for your advice. I decided to get a second opinion tomorrow, Now my vet said my next step should be an ultrasound, what is your toughts on that? I will ask about the aspirate while I am there, I would have never known to ask that, thanks. Did either of the other views help you at all? I am really trying to be clear headed about this, If she isn't able to be saved with a quality of life then I will let her go but I couldn't see giving up on my first try.
If your vet is going to do an ultrasound, then he/she should get an aspirate at the same time. They can use the ultrasound to guide the aspirate which is absolutely the best way to get the best sample for the lab.
Yes, the view from the top helped. I would also need the view from the other side but your vet may not have taken this view. The ultrasound should give you some more information, hopefully about the origin of the mass and the make-up of it but chest ultrasounds in that area are hard at best.
I understand where you are coming from and I will be straight forward with you. Depending on what is found, your two options are going to be surgery and to consider putting he to sleep. A mass this big will take some time to respond to any types of medications and she will suffer during that time. If it is a serious diagnosis then I would consider putting her to sleep but I, like you, need all the facts and I love that you re willing to at least give her a fighting chance...you might be surprised!