Dr. Scott, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet medicine and surgery experience.

My dog act like he has a stomach ache, he will not lay down

My dog act like he has a stomach ache, he will not lay down and has been pacing for a least 12 hours. He looks at me and wines.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 6 years ago.
Hello there,

Is he eating and drinking normally?

Is e urinating and defecating?

Does the abdomen look distended?

How old is the dog?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Newby is a black lab mix. He is over 50 lbs.
Yes, he is eating and drinking. I have not changed his food.
I have seen him pee, but I have not seen him poop.
I see no distention of abdomen. I have rubbed his tummy and he does not act like it hurts. I have put my hand by and under his tail and he cries. He will not let me look under his tail.
Newby is 8 years old. I have has him since the day he was born. He got very sick when he was 6 weeks old.
No vomiting or diarrhea
Please help
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I forgot to mention my husband thinks he might have eaten a mouse that died because of mouse poison. Could he be suffering from being poisoned? I have another big dog and she is a german sherpard mix weighs about the same and she is fine. She is the one that gets into everything, not Newby. He is a real mellow dog. Does not get into anything.
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 6 years ago.
If he has not defecated and the tail hurts he could have spinal pain, an anal gland infection or impaction, a colon impaction or an abdominal tumor. Mineral oil can be mixed into the food to lubricate the intestines to see if there is an obstruction. The feces will look oily when it passes. If it does not pass or he strains to defecate, the abdomen and spine should be radiographed. Buffered aspirin can be used at 5 mg per pound body weight every 12-24 hours as needed for pain. It must be given with food. If this has been going on for 12 hours and he does not improve he needs to been examined by your vet as soon as possible. Mouse poison can be ingested by eating a poisoned rodent but it causes internal bleeding and is not painful.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I live in a small town where there are only two vets and both closed on sunday. Is there anything over the counter meds I could give him except mineral oil to help him? He just looks at me and I feel terrible because I can not help him.

Donna J
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 6 years ago.
Aspirin is the only thing that can be given for pain and it must be given with food.