Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

my puppy has a spiral fracture in the tibia. will a Splint

my puppy has a spiral fracture in the tibia. will a Splint help and if so how do i splint that part of her leg
Welcome to Just Answer. I'm sorry to hear about this situation. Was this fracture diagnosed by a vet with radiographs? How long ago did it occur? Is it an open fracture?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

it was diagnosed by a vet with a radiograph and it occured yesterday or about 18-24 hours ago and no its not open

Can I ask if the vet placed a splint on it?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no they didnt i couldnt afford for them to do any thing else
Can I ask how much you were quoted for applying a splint?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
they didnt give me a quote because the $ 300.00 was only enough for the visit and x-ray
Ok. I'm going to be very honest with you. A spiral fracture of the tibia can heal pretty well with an external splint - "if it is applied correctly, cared for correctly, and the pet is confined"! That being said, the applying of the splint is very challenging. I've seen through my career splints that have been applied that have slipped, been put on too tight, or not been put on correctly and the pet is actually worse off for having it on. To have this work correctly, the correct material and knowledge to apply it are greatly needed. This needs to be done by a veterinarian. I would absolutely request that you call around to get quotes to see who can help you with this process as it is best to spend the money now to have it done correctly and hit heal, than to do it poorly and have more expenses, pain, and frustration arise from this not healing well.
I'm very surprised that the clinic you were at didn't tell you what it would be for a splint as they should be there to help you and your pet. Some clinics can set up payment plans.