Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 16+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

My dog is about pds and he ate 20 mg of melatonin what do

My dog is about pds and he ate 20 mg of melatonin what do I do??? I am soo worried. Firecrakers on the 4th weekend and he was a nervous wreck as my collie was also (she looks like lassie) He couldnt wait for me to separate the meat with the melatonin in it. OMG what do I do ??? PPLLLEEAASE advize
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 4 years ago.

Hi Sir or Madam,

You can read about dosages here:

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/melatonin-melatonex/page1.aspx

If it has been less than 2 hours, you can induce vomiting using hydrogen peroxide 3%. Instructions on inducing vomiting can be found here.
http://www.bichonfriseusa.com/ref/inducevom.htm

If he is going to have adverse side effects, you will see drowsiness, confusion, increased heart rate and/or itching possible vomitng and seizures. There is not alot anyone can do for these signs except supportive care. So if you see signs of overdose, you will need to have him seen.

Edited by Jane Lefler on 7/4/2010 at 10:50 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

he is between 15 to 20 pds

Hi Sir or Madam,

You can read about dosages here:

My vet says it is hard to overdose on meatonin. If he is going to have adverse side effects, you will see drowsiness, confusion, increased heart rate and/or itching possible vomitng and seizures. There is not alot anyone can do for these signs except supportive care. So if you see signs of overdose, you will need to have him seen.

Edited by Jane Lefler on 7/4/2010 at 10:51 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I got the hydrogen peroxide 3% and couldnt give him the entire 5cc or one tsp. Not sure what to do??? he isnt showing any signs of confusion (just peed off because iof the hydrogen peroxide) he looks tired (Duh the melatonin) Could he sleep it off, meaning not seisures etc??? Could he be ok still? Is it ok for him to go to sleep??

Customer,

If he vomits, then he will likely be ok. If he hasn't vomited, try feeding a little food and then shaking the stomach lightly to get contents foaming to trigger the vomiting. My own vet states it is hard to overdose on melatonin, but that doesn't mean it can't happen. That is why you need to monitor for symptoms and have him seen if they develop. So if he becomes sedated, you will want to have him seen.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
But melatonin makes sedation occur? What were the symptoms one more time? I do appreciate this sooo very much. At the moment he is just barking when things go by and gets frightened when the firecrakers go off. maybe give him an egg with more hydrogen peroxide?? He isnt confused but he surely wont let me near him again with a seringe. he is acting ok for the present... what are the sysptoms? and again, melatonin is suppose to make you drowsy or sedate, so how willl I know what isnt the ok sadativeness????

Customer,

Vomiting, diarrhea, excessive shaking or seizures are symptoms of an overdose. A dog is calmed with melatonin, but if they become sedated to the point of being non responsive, then that would be excessive. You can read more here:

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/melatonin-side-effects-in-dogs.html

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I thank you so much Jane:) So far I havent seen anything different, he is laying now but if he goes to sleep I can wake him to see>>> Do you think the egg with hydrogen peroxide will be ok (if he will take it, he likes the egg part but??) Just a few more moments of your time I do appreciate it so much. I hope I can get to a vet if need be being the 4th of July weekend... If I cant wake him I will lose my mind, I am crying at the moment but I know also that dogs can sense emotions and if I act like there is a problem then he will react as such...:{

Customer,

You have to be strong for your little guy. He probably won't eat anything that you mix with the hydrogen peroxide. So you could feed the cooked egg real quck, and shake his little stomach back and forth a little and see if it triggers the vomiting or give another dose if he has only had one dose. However, if he is becoming sedated, you can no longer attempt vomiting as he might aspirate it into his lungs. And most dogs wake rather easily, so it should be pretty easy to see if he is responsive or not if he decides to sleep.

I'm going to give you a site just in case you need it. You can look up ER vets in your area using zip code and distance from you. You probably won't need it, but if you have it handy it will make you feel much better. You can even call and see which ones are open or have services available.

http://www.vetlocator.com/advancedsearch.php

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
we (my husband and I ) Mixed the 1 tsp to one raw egg he is licking the 'stuff' so...... I thank you so much...

Customer,

You're very welcome.

Experience: Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 16+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Shadoe is his name, he is a welsh corgie mix with chow... He is a little man:) He protects us (in his way) I resecued him when I worked as an aminal control officer here in the florida keys. I have since left that position becasue my passion for animals runs deep and owners who abuse animals I had no tolerancce for and my disgust and a level of hatrid spelt over and at times I found it hard to control my complete hatrid for degenerate people whom abuse there animals. Any animals so I left. i do have my "little man" though and 7 yrs earlier I have a full blood "lassie" her name is XXXXX XXXXX for contessa because she is my princess.:) My husband and I simply adore our animals and they are our children... Litle man at the moment is just laying down he hasnt vomited yet... will he vomit? He is sleepy... I worry

Usually they vomit with hydrogen peroxide which is why it is used. I wouldn't do anything else at this point. Monitor him closely though as he may get up to vomit.

I understand your concern and why you felt you needed to leave animal control. I came from a state with lots of regulations on animal welfare to a state with practically none. I was shocked to find that most people where I live do not even keep their dog's rabies shots up to date and few vaccinate or deworm. As a responsible breeder and former vet assistant, I took it upon myself to vaccinate all the dogs in my neighborhood and new ones as they come in to ensure that parvo and distemper wouldn't become an issue near my dogs and so no puppy here would suffer if I could help.

I'm sure in your former job you came across many owners who didn't even know that what they were doing was neglecting their dogs or abusing them. Hopefully, we can change some lives during our lifetimes.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I agree:) Here in the keys we look to spay and nutur because the cat population is immence. The author hemmingway lived down here in key west and he had the 6 toed cats now they are everywhere. I love my animals and I keep them up to date on all the vaccinations. the firecrakers are going off and now shadoe is shivering and growling I feel for him so much, I thought I was doing something good for him because he is my 'baby'.. I thank you and doing what you are doing with this just ask stuff does change people I am sure :)

Customer,

It helps but I also do some work with the local pound too! Don't worry, I'm sure he's going to do fine. Remember, though, that if you are anxious about him being anxious, then he will pick up on that and be anxious. As hard as it is, you need to try to not be worried and be calm as well.