Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

If your yard could be contaminated by Giardia, is there any

If your yard could be contaminated by Giardia, is there any way to get rid of it? I have three dogs who have been treated for giardia and I am afraid the lawn could be affected. Thanks.

Welcome to Just Answer. I'm sorry to hear about this situation with your dogs. Can your yard be contaminated? Yes. Decontaminating it can be difficult as doing this will kill the grass. In all honesty, the best thing that you can do for your yard is to make sure it dries out, doesn't have pooling water and is getting plenty of direct sun. The cysts need moist areas to survive. Here is a good link to read on this.

Edited by Dr. Bruce on 6/29/2010 at 6:53 AM EST

How long apart was each dog affected?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I noticed the loose stools on each dog over a period of a couple of weeks or so. All dogs have just finished a 5 day treatment on Panacur, but I do not notice much difference in the smell, colour and consistency of the stool. They do not seem sick at all, but I know there is something wrong as the stools for all three dogs are identical.
How were the dogs initially diagnosed with the giardia by your vet? The stools didn't get any better after finishing the course of panacur? What did your vet say about this?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The Panacur was given to my dogs in just in case it was Giardia. There were no parasites in the stool sample. I treat all of my dogs with Advantage Multi every 3-4 months and have never had problems with parasites. I was suspicious as the color, smell and consistency of the stool was the same with all three dogs. At one point, I thought there might be something wrong with their food and gradually changed them over to a different food. They have had a real change in their eating habits. They were always eager to eat, but this is no longer the case.
Ok. At this point, I would encourage you to have a fecal sample checked for parasites and for Giardia. We may be barking up the wrong tree. A 5 day course of Panacur is a very effective treatment for giardia and if the stools stayed the same - most likely it isn't the issue. The fecal test can check to see what else may be going on. A change of diet to something higher fiber, or a course of an antibiotic called metronidazole may be in order.