Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

My dogs left hind knee pops out of joint occasionally when

My dog's left hind knee pops out of joint occasionally when she walks. It doesn't seem to cause her any pain and my wife and I can usually massage it back into place without too much trouble, but in the past couple of weeks it has been happening more and more frequently (sometimes as much as 10-12 times per day). From what I've found about this condition it appears the only real treatment option seems to be a corrective surgery.

The dog is 14 months old and weighs about 45 pounds (she's not overweight). Are there any treatment options my wife and I can do on our own? And what kinds of risks are we exposing the dog to if we delay a vet visit and any potential surgery?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 6 years ago.

Hi Sir or Madam,

This is called a luxating patella. Luxating patella is when the knee pops in and out of joint. The more often it pops out, the easier it will pop out in the future. The following explains this:

The following site goes over the surgery to correct this.

Surgery that is performed early has a higher chance of success as the more the knee pops in and out of the joint, the easier it is for it to do so. Cost for surgery varies but I've seen prices from $500-1000 per leg. It really depends on who is doing the surgery and the area you live in. Your vet should be able to get you a good estimate. The only other thing you can do is put the leg in a brace, but it won't correct the situation. You can see braces here:

There really isn't any other option for you. I recommend early fix of the situation before the joint has deteriorated. I hope this information is helpful to you.