Ann M.
Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

What is the sildenafil (viagra) dose for dogs diagnosed with

What is the sildenafil (viagra) dose for dogs diagnosed with MODERATE pulmonary hypertension per echocardiogram? i.e. ? mg/kg qd? bid? tid? By the way, I am a physician assistant. Our dog is 8.2 kg and getting more short of air despite using pimobendan 5mg bid. This was doubled 2 weeks ago from 5mg, 1/2 tab bid.

Thanks, Mark
Category: Dog
Expert:  Ann M. replied 4 years ago.
If I were your dog's vet, I would start with 1mg/kg PO TID, and then adjust upwards based on response, if necessary, to a maximum of 3mg/kg PO QID. However, I cannot legally or ethically recommend that you start this medication without the direct supervision of a veterinarian who has an established doctor-patient relationship with your dog. I would see that vet who did the echo and have that vet prescribe the medication. Best of luck.
Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience: ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
<p>I'm sorry but I mis-spoke earlier when I said my dog was on lisinopril. It should not make much difference but it is analapril not lisinopril. Also was your answer based on adding it to the anapril and pimobendan or discontinuing these meds and just giving the viagra. In other words, when treating moderate PH in a dog, is viagra commonly used in monotherapy? Just a reminder, my dog does not show much improvement on the analapril and pimobendan. Unfortunately, I can not get this info from my vet is because she does not believe in using viagra despite studies that show definate improvment in 65% of dogs with PH. Also, no other vets in my area (rural WV) even heard of using viagra for PH in dogs. Lastly, the reason I'm a first time user to ths service, is because I'm worried my dog might quickly worsen and die before I can get help elsewhere. </p><p>Thanks, Mark</p>
Expert:  Ann M. replied 4 years ago.
That is a more specialized set of questions, so I will have to "opt out" and let another expert help. Best of luck.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'll simply the last question. Is viagra used successfully in monotherapy for PH in dogs? Yes or No?
Expert:  Ann M. replied 4 years ago.
Yes, it can be used by itself for PH in dogs, and many times if the only drug prescribed for it. I have never used it with pimobendan or enalapril, so you would need to consult your vet before adding another drug into the mix. Best of luck.
Ann M., Dog Veterinarian