Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

My English Bull Terrier has been vomiting for 4 days, is drooling,

My English Bull Terrier has been vomiting for 4 days, is drooling, lethargic, uncomfortable and can't lie down for very long. He just stands beside me wherever I happen to be. I took him to the vets 3 days ago and they kept him in 'til today. They said he had/has pancreatitis and put him on an IV for fluids, antibiotics and pain control. I brought him home today but he doesn't seem any better. The snag is that my regular vet is away so I'm dealing with a substitute vet and we live in South America where the care of animals isn't always as up to date as it should be.

Can anyone help me? I'm starting to panic about what I should do. Perhaps if his condition sounds familiar to someone out there they could point me in the right direction and I could pass on opinions/suggestions to the vet here.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Andy :

Hello. Very tough for me to comment.

Dr. Andy :

First....if no tests have been done, then everything up until now is an absolute guess.

Dr. Andy :

Guessing means nothing.

Dr. Andy :

Absolutely,your pet needs, at the minimum, some abdominal x-rays to check for a foreign body or anything else ingested that should not have been. A basic blood profile would also be advisable for an overall health assessment.

Dr. Andy :

To help settle the stomach you could try one of the following drugs. My favorite product is Pepcid (an over-the-counter antacid).

Pepcid comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets. You can give it every 12 hours.

Customer: the vet said that if isn't better by tomorrow to bring him in for x-rays
Dr. Andy :

here is a bland diet recommendation:

Boiled boneless, skinless chicken breast

Cooked white rice

Low-fat cottage cheese

*Never add on salt, pepper, oils, butter to any of the above

*Ideally, give 1/3 chicken or cottage cheese, and 2/3 white rice

*Sometimes, you will see cooking hamburger meat being recommended and taking off the fat. I try to avoid this option as it can exacerbate pets that may have pancreatitis. Chicken works great.

Veterinarians will often prescribe some prescription bland diets like Science Diet I/D or Iams Low-residue. Both are wonderful options.

Dr. Andy :

Agreed. X rays are a must, and I would have done them a few days ago.

Customer: He won't eat anything, only drinks water
Customer: I have him on the raw food diet
Dr. Andy :

Try one fo the antacid recommendations I gave above.

Dr. Andy :

Customer: why?
Dr. Andy :

Even in the States, I see countless cases of salmonella and other toxicity problems related to raw diets.

Dr. Andy :

Well, at least stop it for now.

Dr. Andy :

It simply adds another variable of uncertainty as to what could be exacerbating the problem.

Customer: he has done so well on it. My Bully's have skin problems that the raw food diet seems to help with. Please keep in mind that where I live in Ecuador there's no such thing as Iams or good quality food
Customer: I may have a problem getting pepcid as well. Although Peptobismal is here
Dr. Andy :

Then, switch to the bland diet like the cooked chicken, cooked white rice and low-fat cottage cheese in the meantime. My job is to do everything I can think of to help guide you to make your vet's job easier.

Dr. Andy :

Love Pepcid.

Dr. Andy :

My first choice. Unless there is also diarrhea, then Pepto is better.

Customer: I don't want to be difficult but where I live is a bit limiting
Dr. Andy :

Understood...that's also why I am trying to keep it simple.

Customer: Stores are closed now but I will see if I can pick up some tomorrow
Dr. Andy :

Sounds like a plan. Good Luck.

Customer: the vet has recommended giving my dog a "tea" made with flax
Dr. Andy :

I disagree. The flax could upset the stomach further.

Dr. Andy :

Stick with simple. pepcid

Dr. Andy :

Well, its not concentrated, its in a tea. I suppose if your vet has had luck with it, then I can't argue against.

Customer: ok before you go could you tell me if you have any idea what this could be or if you've dealt with a dog who has displayed these symptoms before?
Dr. Andy :

But, with vomiting for 4 days,I don't like to experiment with more new things orally. Just runs you into new problems.

Customer: yeah I agree
Dr. Andy :

My primary concerns for vomiting include:

- Dietary indiscretion (eating something you do not know about)

- Stomach or intestinal foreign body

- Something that was given to them (new dog food, new treat, human food)

- Intestinal parasitism (not just the worms, but the microscopic bugs like Giardia and Coccidia). They can cause vomiting also, not just diarrhea

- Toxin exposure would be less likely, unless you have reason to suspect exposure to a chemical.

Dr. Andy :

Customer: 'k, could be any of the above. I'm worried about poison, people here do like to poison dogs
Customer: thanks, XXXXX XXXXX to take my dog back tomorrow unless I see a marked improvement
Dr. Andy :

Good Luck....I also greatly appreciate positive feedback after you accept if you would be so kind.

Customer: To be honest I don't really feel that you've told me anything I didn't already know. I know that a diagnosis over the internet isn't possible so you have to "fly" a bit blind but other than recommending Pepcid and a bland diet (which don't really help seeing as my dog won't eat and throws up water) I'm back to square one. I was hoping that I would at least get some information I could pass on to the vet here.
Dr. Andy :

The abdominal x-ray is a must, which they did mention and I agree. However, I would take it a step further and do a basic blood profile for an overall health assessment. 4-5 days of illness is a long time. So, inform your vet, you want the blood test not necessarily for a cause to the problem, but to help ensure there has been no other ill effect on the body.

Dr. Andy :

In addition, the blood test includes a CBC (complete blood count), where you see if there is any evidence of infection contributing to the problem.