ERAnimalNurse, Emergency Critical Care Nurse
Experience:  16+ years of veterinary experience

I think my dog ate half of a chlorine puck for a swimming pool.

Customer Question

I think my dog ate half of a chlorine puck for a swimming pool. How poisonous is this and how do I treat him?
Category: Dog
Expert:  ERAnimalNurse replied 6 years ago.

I am sorry your puppy may have eaten the chlorine pack. This can make him pretty sick, and you have 2 options at this point. First, you can call the SPCA's animal poison control hotline and find out what needs to be done (if anything) before taking him to the vet. The call costs $60, and you will need to provide a credit card. They will give you a case number XXXXX a call back number, which you should bring with you if a trip to the ER is needed. See the number below.

Second, you can skip the phone call and go straight to the nearest ER. This might be the better option, since time is of the essence in these ingestion cases. The longer the chlorine is in her system and untreated, the more digested it will become and the more damage it can do. Having her seen now will be far less expensive. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. If this has been helpful, please hit the green accept button. Best of luck with your puppy, I hope he does well :)