Walter
Walter, Breeder
Experience:  Breeder and pet health consultant. Have spent a number of years with dog rescue, training and health

My dog hasnt pooped in the last 3 days. About 2 weeks ago,

My dog hasn't pooped in the last 3 days. About 2 weeks ago, she had diarrhea but after 3 days of it her poop became solid, just this last week she got diarrhea again but 3 days ago she just stopped pooping. There really isn't a change in mood or behavior. She is only about a year and 3 months and is an Akita-Beagle mix.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Walter replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Walter :

Hello and Welcome to Just Answer!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX X have been with Just Answer since March 2006. Its my pleasure to work with you today! If you have any questions regarding my answer please use the reply button. If your satisfied with my answer please do not forget to click accept and leave feedback about me.

Customer : hello
Walter :

To cure the immediate problem you can start by mixing 1 teaspoon of pumpkin into her meals to get the digestive track regular again. If you need to you can add some more until a stool is produced. Canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filler) is a natural laxative that will help produce stools quickly and effectively and is good for the dogs digestive track.

Sometimes constipation is from not getting enough fiber into your dogs diet or because the dog isn't getting enough fresh water. If this becomes a problem you may want to look into increasing fiber into the diet.

Another reason for constipation can be a blockage from something she ate such as garbage, or a broken bit of bone or toy, if you believe this may be the case of the constipation, I would highly recommend a trip to her vet. When a pet has a blockage, they may exhibit any of the following symptoms: vomiting, loss of appetite, distended belly, an absence of feces or a change in the feces, blood in the stool or vomit, drooling, and retching or trying to vomit with the meal coming up or nothing coming up. If your pet exhibits one or more of these signs a trip to the vet is highly recommended.

Walter :

It sounds like those treats are causing the problem, you may want to try a diffrent treat for training. Should the loose stools come back you can treat it by starting her on a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice to help settle her stomach.(1 part skinless chicken Breast to 3 parts white rice) I am concerned with her becoming dehydrated as this is quite serious with dogs. I recommend giving her unflavored pedilayte to replace the electrolytes. Do not feed anything other then the bland diet.

Walter :

You can give Immodium or Kaopectate Here is a link with dosage instructions: Please Click Here

Customer : She hasn't changed her diet at all, she still eats a cup of food at night and in the morning. She drinks two bowls of water a day. Her poop (when she was pooping) wasn't bloody, but it was a gray color.
Walter :

That's great, that means its just a simple case of upset stomach which you can treat easily with the canned pumpkin. This will loosen her stools without causing diarrhea. If it happens again, the bland diet and Imodium will clear it up faster and more permanently.

Customer : ok, thank you. Is there any explanation for the gray stool? Do you think i should change her pet food to a higher fiber diet?
Customer : right now i'm feeding her IAMS proactive health.
Walter :

The gray stools indicate that she may need more fiber in her diet. I would switch her to a higher fiber dog food as she may be predisposed to diarrhea and the fiber will help prevent it from happening again. I am not a fan of Iams at all, it tends to have a lot of fillers in it which cause these problems I would suggest trying one of the High Quality Foods such as Science Diet, Merrick, Blue Buffalo, Wellness, Eagle, and Innova

Customer : Allright, thank you very much for the information and I will go out and buy some pumpkin for her. Should I wait to switch dog food untill this is cleared up, or to just start right away?
Walter :

You can switch the food now, just make sure you do it slowly so not to upset her stomach to much. Add 1/3 of the new food to the old for 2 days then 1/2 new food with the old for 2 days then 3/4 new with the old for 1 day then all new food. A sudden change can upset her stomach again (Dogs have very finicky stomachs)

Your very welcome and if you need anything at all please do not hesitate to contact me. If you have no other questions please do not forget to click accept and leave feedback about your experience today!

Customer : How may I contact you with any other questions?
Walter :

After you click the accept button you will receive a email with a link to this thread, you can come back here and post or you can open up a new question and address it in the subject line: For Askwalt and the question will be directed to me.

Customer : allright, thank you very much and have a great day. I'm sure my dog will be very greatful!
Walter :

Your very welcome and I hope she is feeling better soon.

Walter, Breeder
Experience: Breeder and pet health consultant. Have spent a number of years with dog rescue, training and health