Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

can i give clarithromycin to my dog

Customer Question

can i give clarithromycin to my dog
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the question,

1. Clarithromycin is in fact not an antibiotic we generally use in veterinary medicine for dogs. I would suggest you do not use this drug as little is know about side effects etc. Best not to take the risk.

2. Another factor is that ear infections generally do not respond very well to antibiotics given as an oral or injectable course as they do not build up to high levels in the ear canal. Usually you are best to infuse antibiotics or other drugs directly into the ear canal and there are a number of prescription drug combinations you can get for this.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS