Dr. Angela
Dr. Angela, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine Degree, University of Illinois

We just brought home a 6 month old Shiba Inu female. She has

We just brought home a 6 month old Shiba Inu female. She has not had a bowel movement in 48 hours. She is drinking and eating some, and urinates. The previous owners did not send any food with her, and told us only the brand. We are feeding her the same brand the owner suggested. She is perky, and otherwise seems well. Is she ok?
She is fine as long as she is eating, drinking and acting normally. She will defecate when she is ready. If she does go on to become clinically constipated, she will stop eating and be acting sick (lethargic, perhaps vomiting). For now just continue letting her eat. You could add a few drops of vegetable oil to her food which can help her move her bowels. If she stops eating or is vomiting or straining to defecate (pushing with nothing coming out), then she will need to see a vet. I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have more questions about this.