How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Scott Nimmo Your Own Question
Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 18898
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr Scott Nimmo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog ate chocolate brownie. What do I do?

Resolved Question:

My dog ate about 16 brownies made from Betty Crocker Milk Brownie mix. I tried to induce vomiting through a raw egg and cup of milk. Didn't work and then tried hydrogen peroxie, didn't work. The dog is a ten months, 54 pound golden retriever. This occurred 2 hours ago. What should I do or what should I be aware of?

Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for the question.

I will be very pleased to try and answer your question. But to enable me to do so, with accuracy, I need to know a little bit more information, so first can you tell me :
Is your dog showing any symptoms of any sort, no matter how trivial?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Was running around, but now is drinking water a little bit more than normal. Ate some food which we mixed with hydrogen peroxide. Won't take a dog treat, which is unusual. He is whining a little.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for the quick reply,

While I cannot diagnose this via the internet, I can tell you the following :

After two hours it is now too late to achieve much by inducing vomiting so all you can do is to sit things out. However eating products containing chocolate is a common event with dogs, while chocolate can be toxic to dogs they have to eat quite a lot, probably much more than your dog ate before you would see signs of toxicity. I say this because :

The rule of thumb which I apply is that with milk chocolate mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.7 ounces per pound of body weight is ingested. Severe signs occur when 2 ounces per pound of body weight is swallowed. If you estimate your Dog's weight as being in the region of 54 lb, then you can see that your dog would have to swallow around 37 ozs { more than two pounds } of pure milk chocolate before any symptoms would occur. Another factor would be that often the main ingredient of brownies is not in fact chocolate at all.

Be on your guard though, the symptoms of chocolate poisoning would include vomiting and diarrhoea as well as frequent urination, and restlessness in the early stages. This can then progress to cardiac dysfunction, tremors and fits. Of course you should call your vet without delay if any serious symptoms appear.

Having said that, most dogs with chocolate poisoning will recover within 24 to 48 hours, particularly if serious symptoms do not occur and usually these would have set in after two hours. There is no specific treatment for chocolate poisoning only symptomatic treatment.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

While you were giving an answer, dog vomited. Does that make a difference?

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 6 years ago.

Hello again,

On the whole that is a good thing, as it will mean, he has lost some of the chocolate in his stomach and this may be associated with the peroxide. On the other hand it could be associated with chocolate toxicity. Occasional vomiting in this situation, provided your dog is not showing any other symptoms, would usually not be a reason to take your dog to ER right now but watch for any other symptoms developing.

Good luck,

Dr Scott Nimmo and other Dog Specialists are ready to help you

Related Dog Questions