Scott Nimmo
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS.

my dog ate about 16 brownies made from betty crocker milk brownie

my dog ate about 16 brownies made from betty crocker milk brownie mix. I tryed to induce vomiting through a raw egg and cup of milk-didn't work and then tried hydrogen peroxie
didn'twork the dog is a ten month 54 pound golden retriever; this occured 2 hours ago
What sholud i do or what should i be aware of
Category: Dog
Expert:  Scott Nimmo replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the question.

I will be very pleased to try and answer your question but to enable me to do so with accuracy I need to know a little bit more information, so first can you tell me :

1. Is your dog showing any symptoms of any sort no matter how trivial?

This is just a information request for which you have not been charged, I am online at present. I will answer your question shortly after receiving your reply.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
was running around but now is drinking water a little bit more than normal ate some food which we mixed with hydrogen peroxide but won't take a dog treat which is unusual nwhining a little
Thanks for the quick reply,

While I cannot diagnose this via the internet I can tell you the following :

After two hours it is now too late to achieve much by inducing vomiting so all you can do is to sit things out. However eating products containing chocolate is a common event with dogs, while chocolate can be toxic to dogs they have to eat quite a lot, probably much more than your dog ate before you would see signs of toxicity. I say this because :

The rule of thumb which I apply is that with milk chocolate mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.7 ounces per pound of body weight is ingested. Severe signs occur when 2 ounces per pound of body weight is swallowed. If you estimate your Dog's weight as being in the region of 54 lb then you can see that your dog would have to swallow around 37 ozs { more than two pounds } of pure milk chocolate before any symptoms would occur. Another factor would be that often the main ingredient of brownies is not in fact chocolate at all.

Be on your guard though, the symptoms of chocolate poisoning would include vomiting and diarrhoea as well as frequent urination, and restlessness in the early stages. This can then progress to cardiac dysfunction, tremors and fits. Of course you should call your vet without delay if any serious symptoms appear.

Having said that most dogs with chocolate poisoning will recover within 24 to 48 hours, particularly if serious symptoms do not occur and usually these would have set in after two hours. There is no specific treatment for chocolate poisoning only symptomatic treatment.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
while you were giving an answer dog vomited does that make a differnce
Hello again,

On the whole that is a good thing as it will mean he has lost some of the chocolate in his stomach and this may be associated with the peroxide. On the other hand it could be associated with chocolate toxicity. Occasional vomiting in this situation provided your dog is not showing any other symptoms would usually not be a reason to take your dog to ER right now but watch for any other symptoms developing.

Good luck,

Scott
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: BVMS, MRCVS.