Dr. Angela
Dr. Angela, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine Degree, University of Illinois
9168612

URGENT ~ STONE HAS BEEN VOMITING, DIAHREAH WITH BLOOD STOOL,

Customer Question

URGENT ~ STONE HAS BEEN VOMITING, DIAHREAH WITH BLOOD STOOL, DILATED PUPILS, NO ENERGY, PAST HISTORY OF THE SAME THREE MONTHS AGO AND PRIOR TO THAT THANKSGIVING WEEKEND '09. AT THAT TIME WE WENT TO 3 DIFFERENT VETS. ALL GAVE SAME RECIPE, NO PERSCRIPTIONS. KAOPECTATE, PEDIALYTE AND WHITE RICE WITH WHITE CHICKEN. HE HAS BEEN LIKE THIS FOR THE LAST 36 HOURS, NOT GETTING BETTER. ONE OF THE VETS LAST TIME SAID HE HAD VERY HIGH PROTEIN LEVELSN THAT IT COULD POSSIBLY BE LIVER ENZYME PROBLEMS. I NEVER SAW THE LAB RESULTS ALTHOUGH THEY WERE REQUESTED. I CANNOT GET A VET THIS WEEKEND HAVE CALLED EVERYWHERE. WHAT SHOUL;D I DO WHAT COULD THIS BE. PLEASE GUIDE ME. WE HAVE ANOTHER DOG 11 YRS OLD GOLDEN RETREIVER WHO IS DEPRESSED WITH SEEING STONE LIKE THIS. PLEASE LET ME KNOW.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Angela replied 4 years ago.

Dear "leg2123" I have read this posting about your 2 year old male (dog I am assuming) who has been vomiting and having bloody diarrhea with dilated pupils and low energy for the past 36 hours. I understand that he has experienced these problems over Thanksgiving weekend of 2009 and he was treated with Kaopectate, bland diet and Pedialyte and that he responded to this treatment but no diagnosis was ever made except he may have had high liver enzymes. You are asking for advice on home care over the weekend.

It is very difficult to give advice without examining a pet under these circumstances. I would want to know if he has a fever, seems dehydrated, hurts when his belly is felt, etc. Without this information it is hard to give much information of what is causing his problems. He could have an infection, liver or other organ problem, intestinal parasites, or a large number of other problems.

As far as treating him at home, I would recommend giving him Pepcid AC (10 mg famotidine). You can give the Original Strength Pepcid AC 10 mg tablets if he is between 10-40 pounds, and Maximum Strength Pepcid (20 mg famotidine) if he is over 40 pounds. Give the tablet once a day. Offer bland food only if he stops vomiting.

If he continues to vomit, he will need to be taken to an emergency veterinary hospital. If you need help finding an emergency vet, you can look at this web site http://veccs.org/hospital_directory.php

I hope this is helpful information. Please press Reply and let me know if you have more questions.

If you have found my reply helpful, please press the Accept button. I would welcome any feedback.

I do hope Stone will be feeling better soon and let me know if you have more questions. Take care.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
<p>Thank you for your response let me fill you in with the additional information you are requesting. <strong>Stone does <u>not </u>have a tender belly. He does seem to have a temperture, dry nose, warm and put his nose in ice. He does seem dehydrated but we continue to give him pedialyte via syrange.</strong></p><p> </p><p>Stone was a stray that we rescued over a year ago. I do not believe he has his shots; the previous owner (a neighbor) kept him outside and he would run away. The previous owner told us he did have shot but did not supply us with medical records. We have spent over 3100. in emergency health care for stone and everytime we are feeling relief from the pocket to have him checked for regular shots or updated he gets sick again.</p><p> </p><p><strong>PRIOR TO HIM GETTING SICK EACH TIME HE GETS BLISTERS ON HIS OUTER LIP THAT BLEED</strong>. Not sure if this is coincidental. He is an inside dog that gets regularly groomed and does not have fleas or ticks.</p><p> </p><p>We will give him the pepcid AC the last time we gave him Zantac my son went to go by the Pepcid now. Please if there is anything else you can think of; perhaps what it could be or how to keep him stabilized other than what we already know I would greatly appreciate it. </p><p> </p><p>Thank you for your time and consideration.</p><p> </p><p>HOW CAN WE LOWER A DOGS TEMPERATURE????  </p>

Dear "Customer" Thanks for this additional information. It is not common for a dog to develop blisters on his outer lips and I am unable to tell you that this is common or make a connection between the blisters and his illness except to say that he may get blisters from excessive salivation or from vomiting bile.

You can lower his temperature by placing cool washcloths on his groin and belly area (not ice cold, just cool) and seeing if that is comfortable for him.

The Pepcid may help with the vomiting.

You are doing everything with the cooling, the Pepcid, the Pedialyte. This is about the extent of what you can offer him at home and I hope it helps him feel better.

Let me know if you have more questions and do keep me posted.

Dr. Angela, Veterinarian
Experience: Doctor of Veterinary Medicine Degree, University of Illinois
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Angela ~ thank you for your help however Stone past away this morning. I am afraid to say that I believe whatever he had was terminal and I feel a bit guilty that I did not do enough for him. Again, I thank you for your tiime.

Liset

Dear Liset, I am so sorry to hear that Stone died. This is so sad. It sounds to me like you did everything you could for him. You took him to the vet and had him checked out in the past and this time it sounds like he was just not going to survive. I am so sorry and I will keep you in my thoughts. Take care.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you Dr. Angela, your sensativity and attention is unfortunately very rare with todays doctors/physicians/practicianers etc. You patients are very blessed to have you.