Terri Riba
Terri Riba, Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in canine health and behavior. 20 years of experience with dogs
437368

bichon: My five year..five year old..bladder stones..treats

My five year old bichon female dog has multiple bladder stones. She will have surgery next week. It breaks my heart not to give her any treats when we are snacking. We also have a cockapoo who gets treats such as crackers or vanilla wafers. Are there any acceptable human foods that can be given to our bichon as treats? She is on s/d diet for now and will be switched to c/d after surgery.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Terri Riba replied 6 years ago.

Dear XXXXX,

I am sorry Maddie has stones.

You can read about them here:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_canine_struvite_bladder_stones.html

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_canine_oxalate_bladder_stones.html

Here is a recipe for homemade treats made from renal food:

Yield: approx. two dozen treats

Using canned food:

1. Open the can and shake the loaf of food out of the can.
  2. Cut the loaf into 1/4" thick slices, and then cut the slices into bite-sized pieces.
  3. Bake the treats in a microwave oven on high for approximately 2½ to 3 minutes.
  4. Store baked treats in the refrigerator and discard leftovers after 5-7 days.
  5. Homemade treats should not exceed 10% of your pet's total daily intake because heat alters the nutritional characteristics of the food.
  6. Do not freeze homemade treats.

For a conventional oven, follow the instructions above and place the bite-sized pieces on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for approximately 30 minutes or until crispy.

Using Dry Food:

1. In a blender, add 2 cups of dry food and grind into a powder.
  2. Pour powder into a mixing bowl and gradually add about 1 to 1¼ cups of water, stirring until it forms a dough consistency.
  3. Shape into individual "treats" or "cookies" and flatten the dough using the back of a spoon (the cookies will not flatten like standard "people cookies" do.)
  4. Place treats on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake in the oven at 350 degrees for approximately 30 minutes or until crispy.
  5. Store baked treats in the refrigerator and discard leftovers after 5-7 days.
  6. Homemade treats should not exceed 10% of your pet's total daily intake because heat alters the nutritional characteristics of the food.
  7. Do not freeze homemade treats.

To enhance flavor, sprinkle oregano powder over the dry food treats. However, do not add oregano to homemade treats when Prescription Diet® z/d® or d/d® foods are used. Cookie cutters make treats fun to make and serve. Only Prescription Diet® a/d® Canine/Feline food, Prescription Diet® n/d® Canine and Prescription Diet® s/d® Canine foods cannot be made into homemade treats using the above recipe. However, you can use the following recipe for homemade treats for these foods:

• Roll the canned food into little balls and place in the freezer to serve later as a frozen treat. Since it is not possible to bake n/d® Canine into treats, this is a great alternative. Also, this is refreshing to pets during the hot summer.

I hope Maddie enjoys them./

Best wishes for her,

Terri