Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

dog has suddenly developed an ataxic gait

Thanks for the question.

I will be very pleased to try and answer your question but to enable me to do so with accuracy I need to know a little bit more information, so first can you tell me :

1. How is your dog other than the incoordination? Bright, alert and wanting to eat and drink?

This is just a information request for which you have not been charged, I am online at present. I will answer your question shortly after receiving your reply.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
my dog is alert, appetite is normal as well as fluid intake. No emisis.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
my dog is alert, appetite is normal as well as fluid intake. No emisis. experiencing symptoms only 3 hours
Thanks for the quick reply.

While I cannot diagnose this over the internet I can list all the possible causes of the symptoms you describe based on my previous experience, these would be :

1. Some kind of middle ear infection.

2. Consider idiopathic vestibular syndrome : I have seen this frequently in older and middle aged dogs. There is no real treatment and it will resolve on its own in many cases.

Here is an link to an excellent article which covers the subject in depth : LINK

3. Sometimes it can be some form of neurological disease such as a brain tumour rather than a middle ear problem. While rare this can happen .

Quite frankly there is nothing you can do on your own on a home remedy basis so all you can do is to have your vet check Molly over at the next available opportunity.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS