How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrAmy Your Own Question
DrAmy, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 266
Experience:  9yrs experience vet care medicine, surgery, dentistry, oncology, behavior
Type Your Dog Question Here...
DrAmy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog may have eaten a vitamin D3 capsule. Is this toxic

This answer was rated:

My dog may have eaten a vitamin D3 capsule. Is this toxic? It is 1000 IU's.

Hello and thank you for your question.


What does your dog weigh?

Are you sure it was only one capsule?


I will wait for your reply. Thanks!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
She weighs about 10 pounds. On advice of the emergency clinic, we gave her hydrogen peroxide and forced her to throw up. We could not find the D3 capsule. We are not sure she actually swallowed one, my wife was taking her evening vitamin pills and saw our dog licking and swallowing.
I am calculating the dose your dog can safely get. I will give my answer in a minute. Thanks for your patience!

Even if your dog ingested the capsule and absorbs the vitamin, she will be fine.


Here is the calculations about the dose she may have ingested.


She weighs 10lbs or 4.5 kg.


The capsule is 1000IU which converts to 25 micrograms. Therefore, she received a dose of 5.55 micrograms per kilogram.


The minimum toxic dose is 37 micrograms per kilogram. So she is not even close to an excessive dose from the one capsule.

I hope that sets your mind at ease. Please let me know if you need anything else. I am here to help.


DrAmy and other Dog Specialists are ready to help you

Related Dog Questions