Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

One of my dogs nipples is swollen and red. What should I

One of my dogs nipples is swollen and red. What should I do? I applied a warm compress and neosporin. Was neosporin bad to apply? I guess i should have asked first, but I just found your website.
Thanks for the question

Short answer here but it does cover things precisely :

While I cannot diagnose this over the internet I can tell you the following : While I hope this is nothing serious there is some danger here that this is a cancer of some kind. This can include the nipple so most vets will treat any problem in this area very seriously. As there is no possible home remedy for this situation my advice has to be that you have a vet check your dog over without delay.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks. I will take her to the vet. Is neosporin bad for dogs?

Hello again,

1. Having your vet check this out is the best thing to do, most times this will be nothing to worry about but now and again over the years I have picked up more serious conditions.

2. Neosporin is safe and often used in the dog for the likes of minor skin conditions and small wounds.