Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My seven year old pug started shivering like she is cold, but

My seven year old pug started shivering like she is cold, but not cold. She won't eat. She was fine all day yesterday, but last night and this morning she seems tired...and starts to shiver for no reason?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 6 years ago.

Hello and Thank You for contacting JustAnswer
I am sorry to hear your baby is having trouble.

I would love to help However I would like so additional information in order to better access the problem.

Does she seem painful anywhere including neck or back

Any chance she ate something she should not have

Any vomiting or diarrhea

Are her gums pink and moist

I may have additional questions

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Her Gums are pink & moist. I am not sure if she ate something, it is possible? I have not seen any vomit or diarrhea yet. She did not want to jump onto our bed last night, and that is when we noticed her shiver in our bed when we helped her get on our bed. Today she dosn't want to eat, and is not cheerful and wanting to run around as she usually does, She just sits in one spot and seems tired. She will occasionally start to shiver. We have not recognized that before. My sister has a boston terrier that shivers everytime she is nervious or excited, but our dog has never reacted like that....so I am concerned.
Expert:  Candy replied 6 years ago.

Ok,

Shivering in a dog is most often a sign of pain. Her unwillingness to jump and inactivity lead me to suspect this is a response to pain.

Pugs often develop problems in the neck or back such as ruptured or compression of the discs. This can develop from something as simple as jumping up or down from a couch however it is not uncommon to have no definitive reason for the problem..

If she is known to eat things she should not this could be related to pain in the abdomen

Problems with the liver or kidneys will also cause abdominal pain.

I would suggest having her seen by your vet as the possibilities are many considering her symptoms. If this is a problem with the neck or back the sooner treatment is started the better the chance for complete recovery.

I hope your girl is ok, please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns

Candy