Gen B.
Gen B., Retired Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Lhasa,Shih Tzu Breeder/ B.A.Neurophysiology & Animal Behavior/I use plain English!
1298761

my dog had to remove her spline because of a small internal

my dog had to remove her spline because of a small internal bleeding. The vet could see that this was caused by some mass in the spline identified by ultrasound. No other masses were found on ultrasound, nor when checking the organs during surgery.

She isnow doing extremely well only 6 days after surgery. However, we will have the result of the biopsi on Monday next week and I am scared to death that this may be cancer! What are the chances this could be something else or a benign mass?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Gen B. replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thanks for researching your question...I am sorry that no one online earlier felt able to discuss this with you, and that you and your Dear Friend are having this difficult and distressing experience!

It is very hard to wait, but I am happy that she is doing well today.

Dogs can develop benign tumors in the spleen, and it is favorable that your veterinarian was not able to find any other lesions with the ultrasound exam and during the surgery. Dogs that have had benign splenic masses removed do very well, as long as they are protected from infection and illness.

It would also be a favorable sign if there were only one obvious mass on the spleen itself--malignant forms of cancer often produce several tumors by the time symptoms of bleeding are seen at home.
Read an article about splenic masses by clicking here.

Although there is no way to tell in this type of forum what type of tumor your pet had, in your place I would keep a hopeful attitude and focus on supporting her healing.

Dogs do not worry about how much time they have in the world, they want to feel comfortable and happy. She certainly senses your worry, and this can cause her anxiety.

If you need more support at this time, or need to discuss the biopsy report when it comes back, please "REPLY" below.

Edited by Gen B. on 5/14/2010 at 1:09 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thanks a lot for your kind answer! The vet did in fact find only one mass in the spleen that was completely removed and ent for biopsy.

Is there any average statistics on these kind of masses, i.e. 50% are normally cancer, or it's normal to find metastasis already by the time the spleen was removed?

BR

Magnus

Expert:  Gen B. replied 4 years ago.
These cases are mixed--there are a lot of things that influence when a mass is found, and if an individual dog has some tendency to develop a malignancy, or other non-malignant disease of the spleen. So a biopsy is the proper way to find out what a particular dog's diagnosis and outlook are.

33% of dogs with splenic masses are benign cases...this is a very significant number, and gives us cause for hope when there are no other visible signs in the dog's exams or behavior.

66% of spleen tumors may be malignancies of various kinds...then the outcome depends on the type of cancer identified, the timeliness of the removal and other treatments, and the vigor of the dog's constitution (to manage treatments or other procedures). About half of these dogs have definite signs of spread at the time of surgery. There seem to be breed trends for malignant hemangiosarcomas (the most aggressive splenic malignancy).
Read more about hemangiosarcoma by clicking here.

These numbers equate to "averages" and "trends"--I sort of reserve my dependence on such things where an individual's prognosis is concerned when a definite diagnosis is still undetermined. But these statistics support surgical intervention and biopsy as quickly as possible for these cases. Which you have done.

You and your veterinary support staff have taken all the proper steps to date, and what to do further can only be revealed by the biopsy report.
Gen B., Retired Veterinary Technician
Experience: Lhasa,Shih Tzu Breeder/ B.A.Neurophysiology & Animal Behavior/I use plain English!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dear Gen,

Thank a lot for your kind support and information during the last difficult days!

I just came back from the Vet (bought a bottle of Champagne on the way home ;-) and the biopsy report said hematoma, NO SIGN OF ANY CANCER!!!!!!

She had some additional blood tests and is now declared fully healthy.

Best regards,

Magnus

Expert:  Gen B. replied 4 years ago.
Thank goodness for this news, Magnus!

I am so pleased for you both, and thankful that you gave me this update as I have been thinking of you both this weekend.

Continue to follow your vet's instructions about her recovery and care going forward...dogs that have no spleen must be carefully protected from contagious and infective conditions.

Enjoy your celebration,
Gen B., Retired Veterinary Technician
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX are ever coming over to Sweden, we would be happy to share a drink with you ;-)

Many thanks and all the best

Magnus

Expert:  Gen B. replied 4 years ago.
Cheers XXXXX XXXXX! :D

Let us know if we can help again in future,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

Cheers