Animal Eyes
Animal Eyes, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  25 yrs working, treating, training and loving dogs, 5 yrs as an animal control officer
1527314

my siberian husky drinks excessive amounts of water, to the

my siberian husky drinks excessive amounts of water, to the point where his bowel movements are mostly quite loose. He would drink a full bowl of water in one go without any interruption, is this normal for the breed? I also own another male husky who drinks a lot, although not so much that he has loose bowel movements.
Has he had any blood work done to check his liver or kidneys?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No he hasn't had any blood taken since we had him. We haven't had him from a puppy, he was 11 months when we got him.
Ok, thanks for the info. One more question, does he eat at a regular pace or does he gulp it down quickly?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

He eats normally

Ok. It would probably be a good idea to have some blood work done to check how his internal organs are working. If he is having problems with his liver or kidneys he may drink more water. It could also be that his thyroid isn't working properly or he could be developing diabetes. All of these could cause the increase of water consumption. If all this is normal then I would recommend having a stool check done to make sure that the loose stool isn't from an intestinal parasite or possibly a bacterial overgrowth. Both of these can cause loose stools. He may be drinking more water to compensate for the fluid he is loosing with the stools. Testing him will help determine what is wrong and what treatment needs to be done to alleviate the loose stools.