DrAmy, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  9yrs experience vet care medicine, surgery, dentistry, oncology, behavior

my dogs pupils wont dialate back to normal. she has become

my dogs pupils wont dialate back to normal. she has become blind and i was wondering if there is anything that we can do about this. she is an akita breed

Hello and thank you for your question!

I just wanted to ask a couple things.

1. Did your vet give a diagnosis to what the problem is? If not, I can list a few things it could be.

2. Are her eyes painful? Is she squinting, etc?

3. Do you know if your vet checked a blood pressure?

I will wait for your response. Thanks!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no, the regular vet just told me to go to an optomolgist. she doesnt squint. she always has her eyes wide open. the vet just told me that when she puts the light on them they dont react, that they stay dialated. dont know about the blood pressure. but shes been having a history of this, her eyes are very cloudy but doesnt look like cataracts. shes only 5 yrs old. the vet before said its an autoimmune disease. last year she wasnt this bad, but now i see she raises her legs higher so she is now extremely careful when she walk. poor girl

I had just a couple more questions.

Has the vet checked her eye pressure?

Does she have any fur changes? Specifically, has some fur around her face turned white?

Has your vet used the term uveitis?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
my vet acted oblivious to what was going on . she just told us to go to an optomotrist. but i was thinking that this was going to be an expensive visit so that is why we havent taken her.

Thank you for the additional information.

There are a couple things that come to mind when I hear of an Akita with gradual vision loss. There are other possibilities as well but I will focus on a couple common ones.

1. Vogt-Koyanagi-Harada-Like Syndrome in Dogs

The other name for this disease is uveodermatologic syndrome. The reason this may be a cause is because of her breed. It is common in Akita's and can lead to blindness. Also, you mentioned the eyes look cloudy, but without cataracts. If the cornea is cloudy this could indicate inflammation called uveitis. The things that don't quite fit that you have mentioned is that she is not painful and her eyes are dilated. UsuallIy with uveitis (inflammation within the eye), the eyes are painful, bloodshot and the pupils are usually constricted, not large and dilated. There are medications used to control the inflammation. Also, dogs with this disease will have fur turn white around the face.

2. Progressive retinal atrophy (PRA). This also has a hereditary component and Akita's are one of the breeds that are more likely to develop it. It is a problem that causes gradual vision loss over a period of months to years. The back of the eye (the retina) has light receptors (photoreceptors). For some reason, in some dogs, these photoreceptors develop normally but start to deteriorate/degenerate later in life. Common things owners notice is decreased night vision, hesitancy to do stairs. Then, eventually vision during the day is decreased. The pupils can be dilated, and you may see the reflection in the back of the eye more easily (it looks like a yellow or green shimmer). There is no treatment for PRA, except for keeping your dog in a safe environment. You can get some ideas here:

An opthalmologist would be able to give you a diagnosis for what is causing your dog's vision loss. If you let me know your city/state, I could find one for you. You could call them ahead of time to see what the exam fee is and what it includes. They may know just with an exam. There are other diagnostic tools that may be recommended, but they wouldn't know that until your visit. If you are able to, a visit to the specialist will be able to determine the cause of the problem and if there is anything you can do to treat it or at least slow the progression.

I hope my answer was helpful. Please let me know if you have other questions. I am here to help!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you soo much. i live in northridge california. it looks like there may not be anything to do except a safe environment... her eyes have a red tone to them since shes developed the cloudy look.

I found a link online of the clinics that work with veterinary ophthalmologists in California. You can look through the list to find the one closest to you. It looks like you are close to Los Angeles. There are three contacts on the list from there.

The redness could be from inflammation in addition to the cloudiness. I'm not sure what anti-inflammatory gel your vet is using, but there may be other options that would help the eyes even more.

I hope you find the help you need to get answers. It never hurts to get a second opinion. If you can do it, the second opinion from an ophthalmologist would be best.

Good luck and let me know how she does!