Cher
Cher, Dog Caregiver--Extensive Experience
Experience:  Extensive Experience Caring for Canines; Specializing in behavior and health concerns.
1470369

Help, my dog ate a piece of a power cord, is that something

Help, my dog ate a piece of a power cord, is that something his stomach can break down?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Cher replied 4 years ago.

The material covering the power cord (plastic/vinyl/rubber?) is not digestible, but if he did not eat a large piece, if it were not a very thick cord, and/or if he chewed it up into smaller pieces before swallowing, it should most likely pass through his system naturally. Watch his stool for pieces of the cord--you'll need to pick through each b.m. to find the pieces.

However, you'll monitor him for symptoms of GI upset, like vomiting, decreased or no appetite, constipation and/or diarrhea, and any other unusual symptoms or signs of illness; if you observe him acting unusual, it would be advisable to have him evaluated in person by the vet, as soon as possible.

I hope all will be well with your furry boy!

If you have found this answer helpful, please click 'Accept' and leave positive feedback; if you need additional information, please click 'Reply'. Thanks for the opportunity to be of help.

Best wishes,
Cher

Edited by Cher on 4/24/2010 at 2:18 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
He did had GI upset after by vomiting. In your opinion do I need to get immediate attention or do you think jsut to keep an eye on him? It was just a small amount that he threw up.
Expert:  Cher replied 4 years ago.
Hello again, and thanks for your reply.

When he threw up, did it contain any pieces of the cord?

How long ago did he eat the cord and how long ago did he vomit?

Has he eaten or eliminated since vomiting?

How is he acting now?

Thanks,
Cher
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It had a small amount of the insulation of the cord in it. He ate the cord 15 mintes ago and vominted shortly there after but he seems to be his normal puppy self right now. Mischivious as ususal. He has been drinking water but will not eat again until the morning.
Expert:  Cher replied 4 years ago.
Hi again, and thanks for that information.

Since he just ate the cord 15 minutes ago, you might want to induce vomiting to help him get the rest out of his system, by following these instructions. Do feed him a small meal or some soft bread before, so he has some stomach contents to throw up:
From:

"Despite the label indicating that hydrogen peroxide is toxic, it is safe to give to dogs for this purpose. It is considered toxic since it induces vomiting and therefore does not stay in the body.

The appropriate dose of hydrogen peroxide is one teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight. If you have an oral syringe, one teaspoon equals 5 cc or 5 ml. Once given, walk your dog around or gently shake the stomach area to mix the peroxide with the stomach contents. Vomiting should occur within 15 to 20 minutes. If no vomiting occurs, you can safely repeat the three percent hydrogen peroxide once. If it is still not effective, your dog may need to be seen by a veterinarian for stronger vomiting medication.

Once the hydrogen peroxide is given, it is important to watch your pet so that he does not re-ingest the substance. If there is concern about toxicity, collect and take a sample of the vomitus to your veterinarian."

If you would rather have a vet do this, bring him to the nearest ER vet center, if it's now after hours for you.

Regards,
Cher

Experience: Extensive Experience Caring for Canines; Specializing in behavior and health concerns.