Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

What is the treatment for a dog with a broken toe. Our Jack

What is the treatment for a dog with a broken toe. Our XXXXX XXXXX has broken his outside toe on a back foot. The vet initially bandaged it and then 4 days later took the bandage off to check..xrayed and found the broken toe. His leg is now in a splint, padding and bandage. I am concerned it took so long to discover and the bandage has now been changed four times in less than a week! All that disturbance...will it be okay?!!! And should the toes be strapped together?

Toe fractures are pretty easy to get to heal with just a splint or even a heavy bandage if the dog is small enough and exercise restricted. I typically use a splint and leave it on for 4-6 weeks to allow these to heal.

The splint should be rechecked every 1-2 weeks and x-rays rechecked to evaluate healing. Once a nice callous forms and it appears stable then I'd remove the splint and continue another 1-2 weeks of exercise restriction to allow full healing. If the bandage ever becomes moist or dirty, then it should be changed right away- with that said, it's not uncommon for dogs to have to have the splint/ bandage rechanged frequently if there are problems with the bandaging.

We don't need to tape/ strap any toes together to get them to heal.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks so much for your reply

When the bandage finally comes off and the break in the toe has hopefully mended would it then be helpful to strap the toe protect it for a while...he is such an active dog!?

Nope, once healed (4-8 weeks down the road) that toe should be at least 90% of the original strength and many close to 100%. He can go back to being a hyperactive JRT!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks so much you have put my mind at rest

By the way hope you get some ...just realised its 4.30 am out there!!

I'm an ER vet... 5 pm - 7 am are my shifts. Mornings are for sleep.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
keep up the good work and thanks again
you're very welcome, take care.