Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

I found a small, flat lump under the skin on my dogs back

I found a small, flat lump under the skin on my dog's back along the line of the muscle that runs on her left side. It doesn't seem to bother her and would not be noticed except that I can kind of pick it up from the muscle area. It feels like fatty tissue and is the area where she has received injections but she has not had one since last year. I have made an appointment with her vet but am concerned. She is very, very special to us. Thank you for your kind assistance.

The lump is something that could have many causes: inflamed lymph node, sebaceous cyst, lipoma. Because of her age and the description you gave me of what it feels like, I'm suspecting it's a lipoma or a sebaceous cyst, but I'm just guessing.

Here's more reading on lipomas and other cancers:

On cysts:

On lymph nodes:

The only way to positively identify what sort of lump or bump your dog has is, unfortunately, also through a trip to the vet. A fine needle biopsy (where the vet inserts a needle into one of the bumps and tries to aspirate/pull out material to look at under the microscope) will tell the vet, without question, what sort of problem your dog is having.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Are Lipoma type growths benign? I thought they were fatty type tumors that were no problem. How are they different from a growth that is cancerous?

Lipomas are generally benign. And they are fatty tumors.

They're different simply because they're non-malignant...meaning they don't spread and don't cause any trouble.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Do Lipomas feel different than other types of growths that are cancerous?
They generally feel like a little fat ball under the skin and feel like they're not really connected to anything whereas the other growths tend to feel connected.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It feels like a small, squashy blob that is attached to deeper skin. Doesn't feel like it is attached to bone or an organ. It is around a muscle area but I don't think it is attached to the muscle.Does that sound like Lipoma?