Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 18 years experience.
13866827

My dog has a swollen burser sack and a bit of swelling in her

My dog has a swollen burser sack and a bit of swelling in her lymph node.

Could this be caused by a tendonitis? Or tick bite?

She is a 2 year old rhodesian ridgeback and she goes out to an open space twice per week to run with other dogs. She is highly energetic and rambunctous.

He appetite is good, no signs of lethargy, no pain in the swollen area and no limping.

Should we just rest her for a couple days? or is it more serious and needs to see a vet?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Scarlett replied 6 years ago.
Can I get a little more information? I'm a little unclear as to where the swelling is--which leg is affected and which lymph node? Have you removed any ticks on her in that area or last fall?
Thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
right "elbow" and up to "armpit" - yes we get ticks there all the time. Brown dog ticks. Other elbow is swollen too. Vet thinks its a soft tissue injury, but they drained 6 ml of fluid at 11 am and its just as big and swollen now at 7 pm. They thought they found infection cells in the drained fluid, but they sent it off to the lab to be sure. No temperature, no limping, no pain to touch.
Hmm,
I don't usually think of fluid accumulation that can be drained off as a soft tissue injury. I would think about something like an abscess (the fluid would likely be pus or have "infection cells" in the fluid), a seroma (generally clearish/red fluid removed), or a burst blood vessel (fresh blood removed). An abscess sounds most like what you are describing. If it is fairly recent and localized, I wouldn't necessarily expect an increase in the dog's temperature.

I would have started your dog on antibiotics, especially if white blood cells were seen in the fluid that was removed. An anti-inflammatory, like Rimadyl, would also be good, especiallly for a soft tissue injury. If the swelling continues, I would definitely ask your vet if they would prescribe something or if they think it would be a good idea to give while waiting for the pathology results to come back.

If your dog is otherwise acting completely normal, I wouldn't be too concerned yet. I would make sure to keep Frontline on her, however, to help protect her from tick bites. And be sure to have her tested for tick-borne diseases!

Good luck!