Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

Can I give my dog Pedialyte

Can I give my dog Pedialyte?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 6 years ago.

Yes you can.

The following link will elaborate:

If your pet is nauseated or sick with vomiting or diarrhea issues:

To help settle the stomach you could try one of the following drugs. My favorite product is Pepcid (an over-the-counter antacid).

Pepcid comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets. You can give it every 12 hours.

Although a veterinary examination is always going to be recommended, especially with vomiting episodes and/or diarrhea, here is a bland diet recommendation:

Boiled boneless, skinless chicken breast

Cooked white rice

Low-fat cottage cheese

*Never add on salt, pepper, oils, butter to any of the above

*Ideally, give 1/3 chicken or cottage cheese, and 2/3 white rice

*Sometimes, you will see cooking hamburger meat being recommended and taking off the fat. I try to avoid this option as it can exacerbate pets that may have pancreatitis. Chicken works great.

Veterinarians will often prescribe some prescription bland diets like Science Diet I/D or Iams Low-residue. Both are wonderful options

Definitely, get into a vet if any symptoms of illness have already persisted for more than 2 days.

Good Luck

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am asking because I think he is a bit dehydrated. I have been to the vet 4 times in the last week and they cannot find the reason for his problems.<br /><br />About 2 weeks ago, my 9 1/2 year old Rat Terrier started "choking" on food. It was odd, out of the blue and concerning, so I had him to the vet. He was choking mostly on moist foods and anything somewhat large. The vet did an xray, said everything looked good, and prescribed Sulcrafate and Pepcid. After 3 days, it was still not helping, so I brought him back in and another vet did a barium swallow with an xray. He said he thought Bear had an esophageal stricture and a mediastinal mass.    After the barium, Bear couldn't keep ANYTHING down, not even water, but withing 12 hours, I had him eating and drinking, keeping everything down (small, ferquent hand fed meals).<br /><br />My regular vet had me bring Bear back in yesterday to do an ultrasound, but again found nothing. However, today, he seems a bit lethargic. He's still barking at disturbances (like terriers do) and we went for a walk, but he's not wanting to eat or drink today. I was questioning the Pedialyte because I was afraid he might be dehydrating (somewhat slow capillary refill rate, skin pinch test a little slow as well). I also noticed his gums are a little less pink thank normal.<br /><br />Anything else you might be able to suggest or advise? None of the vets in my practice have any idea what's going on with him.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 6 years ago.

No. Impossible without being able to do my own exam, and review test results.

However, I would suggest absolutely getting a second opinion from an internal medicine specialist at this point. Especially, if your vet is now doing random treatments or tests.

Ask for the referral, or you can find an internist yourself using this link:

Find Various Specialists

--> Under "specialty" select SAIM = Small Animal Internal Medicine

--> Or, you can search for a Neurologist, Cardiologist or Oncologist

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Lastly, do you know the dosage for Pedialyte?

Amount per lb body weight? Or...?
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 6 years ago.

Depends on dog's size, dehydration, severity of losses (vomiting, diarrhea).

I probably would not give much more than a 1/2 cup at a time.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
He's about 8lbs, no vomiting, no diarrhea (hasn't eaten much today, as I previously stated).

I gave him about 3ml a moment ago, followed by 2ml of water.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 6 years ago.

I can't help anymore.

At 8 pounds, you really need to get him into another vet or the specialist for a second opinion. The longer you wait, potentially the poorer the prognosis.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Not very appreciate of your dismissal. Sorry to have wasted your time.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 6 years ago.

Not a dismissal.

Your original question for $9 was about giving pedialyte.

I extended my answer, in the interests of trying to help more by offering the other suggestions.

You continued to ask even more questions. I really tried my best, XXXXX XXXXX you mentioned the other details of what is going on and its only an 8 pound doggy, my red flags went up. The more I continue to try and assist with over-the-counters, the more harm I could be doing by delaying you getting into a vet.

My goal is to get your pet the "best" treatment as soon as possible which I can't give.

Wish I could.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If we are going to discuss price, I believe you are really leaving a more bitter taste in my mouth than I had when I last left your dismissal.

I asked about Pedialyte because I wanted to hydrate my dog. I did not ask you for further medications, over the counter or otherwise, that you needed to stray away from.

You know, after a pet owner has had their dog seen by 4 different vets in 2 months time, sometimes it's nice to hear the thoughts of an outsider. My exact reason for sharing some of the backstory with you was so that you might be able to see where I was coming from. I did not ask you to diagnose him, or suggest you do so. I simply asked if you had "any ideas" as to what might be goign on, which was baffling vet after vet.

If sharing your thoughts isn't your cup of tea, I would suggest maybe you don't participate in any online discussions with pet owners.