Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My dog doesnt seem to want to pee -- inside or outside. When

My dog doesn't seem to want to pee -- inside or outside. When she goes to her usual spots and sniffs around, it looks like she's about to go, but then she sits down, tilts her head back like she wants to bite her tail and then won't move. Then she gets up, walks around, looks like she's finding a spot again, quickly sits down, tilts her head back and won't move again. She does this when it looks like she wants to poop, too.

Any ideas?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 years ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. Any problems with walking? If you press on her abdomen from both sides, is she painful or uncomfortable, or do you feel a large water balloon type mass? Check around her anus - any swellings or open wounds? Does she ever scoot her rear end?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

No problems with walking, except that she stops to sit and turn often. No pain or discomfort as far as I can tell, no water balloon type mass in her belly, or open wounds or swelling around the anus. She also doesn't scoot across the floor. She has been throwing up occassionally, however.

She's a four month old French Bulldog. I know the breed have some health problems but I've never really heard of digestive problems, or urinary problems.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 years ago.
Thanks. When was the last time you noticed any urine or feces come from her? How often does she vomit? When was the last time she vomited?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

She did poop about 2 hours ago. She kept sitting when she looked like she was ready to go, but I got her to keep walking instead, and eventually she pooped. When we came back in the house, she threw up. Over the last 2 days, she's thrown up once each day. It's never strictly after eating, sleeping or excessive activity, which further confuses me. The last time I saw her urinate was on my lunch break, about 10 hours ago or so.

When she sits and turns back, it seems like she's trying to maybe lick or bite something she can't reach. She's short and kind of fat so her flat snout can't reach all the way to the back of her body.

About an hour and a half ago, I tried cleaning her lady parts because they looked a little dirty. It seemed to soothe her a bit, but because she still hasn't urinated, I don't know if that is the cause.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the information. If this odd behavior just started after cleaning her, then that could be the cause, especially if the cleaning cause some irritation. This may be an attempt by her to lick or chew in the area, but she just can't reach it. A urinary tract infection, fully anal glands, impacted or abscessed anal glands, fleas and pain in the hips can all cause these signs. If she is doing fine otherwise, I would just watch her tonight. The biggest concern is if she has a blocked urethra and can't urinate, but this is not very common in female dogs, she would uncomfortable on abdominal palpation, and you would most likely feel the bladder enlarged or firm and painful. If she still shows these signs tomorrow, have your vet check her out. An orthopedic and rectal exam would probably be indicated, and they may want to check a urinalysis on her to rule out an infection. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps.