Gina, Breeder and Health Care Specialist
Experience:  20+ years experience in animal health care. Hobby breeder of Olde English Mastiffs and owned by an English Bulldog.

I have an 8-9 year English Mastiff. Shes recently started

I have an 8-9 year English Mastiff. She's recently started vomiting clear liquid and drinking water constantly. She sounds as though she's hacking to clear her throat or congested. She has no loss of appetite or appears to be in any distress other than this. She's not over weight but weighs about 200 lbs.It's just this uncontrollable vomiting. Unfortunately I can't afford a vet and all tests they will do because to the economy. Have you seen or run into these symptoms with Mastiffs?

Thank You

Category: Dog
Expert:  Gina replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thanks for requesting me :)

Has she had any health issues in the past?

Is she spayred?

How much and how often are you feeding her?

What do you feed her?

Any changes in her daily life?

Any food in the vomit ever?

Normal urinary and bowel movements?

Edited by G on 4/12/2010 at 1:46 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
-She's never had any health issues.
-She is spayed.
-We feed her once a day.
-She eats a mix of dry and canned food.
-Either Pro-Plan or Pedigree Canned and Pedigree Dry food.
-No changes in her lifestyle at all.
-Sometimes if she gets into the dry cat food you'll see small pieces in it. Otherwise it's usually clear and sometimes foamy.
-She has normal urinary/bowel movements.
Expert:  Gina replied 6 years ago.

OK...there are a couple of things that come to mind here, and again, I am not a vet just going on what I've seen. First, try splitting up her meals into 2 meals. You can also give her 2 pepcid per day (given her size) to help in case its an acid reflux issue. This may take a few days to notice any change. If that doesn't help, my concern is a liver issue. The only way to know for sure if it is, would be bloodwork from the vet. I know cost is an me, I know. See if you qualify for a no interest veterinary loan from:

If she is getting into the cat food, that COULD cause tummy trouble like pancreatitis so do try to keep it away from her. :)

Let me know how you make out with splitting up the meals and with the pepcid in a couple days.

You can always log into justanswer and go to "MY QUESTIONS" and come back even after you accept and the question closes. :)

Good luck!