Cher
Cher, Dog Caregiver--Extensive Experience
Experience:  Extensive Experience Caring for Canines; Specializing in behavior and health concerns.
1470369

My dogs gums and inner ears are a bright red. Should I be

My dog's gums and inner ears were a bright red last night. Should I be concerned? They are usually a healthy light pink. I checked all of my dogs (we have five) ears and gums, and although none of them were as red as Audrey's, most of them were more pink than usual. They have returned to normal today, but we have neighbors who do not care for our dogs, and I am concerned that this could be evidence of poisoning.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.
Hello, and thanks for your question.

I'm glad that Audrey's and your other dogs' gums and ear color have returned to normal. You are absolutely correct that ingestion or inhalation of a toxic substance can cause a darkening of the gums and other tissues/mucus membranes.
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/poisoning-in-dogs-what-you-should-know/page1.aspx

Try not to let your dogs play unsupervised outside, if you suspect your neighbor might cause them harm.

If they exhibit the same symptoms again, it would be advisable to have them evaluated by their vet and a blood test would provide more diagnostic information.

I hope they will all be well.

If you have found this answer helpful, please click 'Accept' and leave positive feedback; if you need additional information, please click 'Reply'. Thanks for the opportunity to be of help.

Best wishes,
Cher
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Do you have any ideas what kind of poisons might cause this?
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.
Hi again,

A darkening of the gums to a dark red, is a common symptom with carbon monoxide poisoning, but since your dogs' gums returned to normal color, I doubt this is the case. In general, dark red gums are typically an indication of dehydration and/or heat stroke, but again, since they returned to normal pink, that's good. Since they all exhibited this symptom, they may have gotten into something or contacted something, together. It may have been a plant, etc., outside, that you weren't aware of, if your suspicions about the neighbor are incorrect.

Best wishes,
Cher