Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My dogs left butt cheek is swollen. It doesnt seem to hurt

Customer Question

My dogs left ?butt cheek? is swollen. It doesn't seem to hurt him, his walking is not affected, and my vet seems to think its nothing, maybe an insect bite, but that was a few weeks ago, and it's still swollen. Any ideas?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 6 years ago.

Hi Sir or Madam,

What breed is your dog?

Is this swelling close to the rectum at the 4 or 8 o'clock position?

Or is it on the thigh area?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
He is a doberman/dane mix (90lbs) Its on his left side, and includes both the cheek part and the upper thigh area, more of a 9 or 10 o'clock thing.

Ja customer,

I thought it might be an anal gland issue, but the placemet isn't right. I'm going to opt out and see if any other expert has any ideas.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 years ago.

I would try to get a needle aspirate of the swelling- my main differentials would be:
1. Abscess- typically they're painful, but not always. It's basically an infection and should be surgically drained
2. Soft Tissue Swelling- an injury of the large gluteal muscles could lead to inflammation, treated with anti-inflammatory meds
3. Neurologic disease- one thing to make sure of is that the other side is not actually losing muscle mass making this side look larger. If that is the case, then I'd worry about neurologic disease.

I'd start with a needle aspirate of the area and then go from there.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.