Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

What would cause a male dog to bleed from his penis after mating

What would cause a male dog to bleed from his penis after mating with a female dog?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 6 years ago.

Well, under these circumstances, with no prior history of bleeding problems, urinating problems, etc...there is no doubt he is been traumatized. Here's the problem:

The penis is very vascular and if she pulls away it can really twist and damage his penile sheath. So, with obvious bleeding present, there is no question, he really needs to see a vet to get appropriate pain medication, anti-inflammatory treatment, and an examination of the penis to ensure no severe trauma and isolate where the bleeding is coming from.

Well worth an ER trip in my opinion.

Good Luck

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your answer. He is no longer bleeding and seems to be in good spirits. Do you still think it's worth an ER trip? What would be some obvious signs of infection?
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 6 years ago.
Infection? That is really tough to say, because you can't really see the source of the wound. Certainly, whenever there is bleeding, that means open skin/wound, and therefore, chance for infection. But, not always the case.
I am more concerned about the pain and definitely inflammation at the site.

ER trip? Too difficult unfortunately for me to predict. If he is licking down there a lot, urinating more often, seems distressed when urinating, or you see blood in the urine, absolutely, an ER trip.