Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

My 8 year old male German Shepherd is bleeding from his penis

My 8 year old male German Shepherd is bleeding from his penis in drops. I noticed it on the floor. I examined the penis and it looks a little dark on the end in spots but it does not look inflamed. I feels hard, but I really don't know what a dog's penis is supposed to feel like. It is possible my Basenji has bitten him today, as they were out all day, but I don't see an injury.
Category: Dog
Expert:  ERAnimalNurse replied 6 years ago.

I am sorry your dog is having trouble.

Is he urinating normally? Is there visible blood in the urine?

Is he neutered?

Is his penis sticking out of the prepuce (sheath)?

Is the blood bright red?

Are you seeing blood anywhere else (in the stool, from the nose?)?

Any bruises inside his ears, on his belly or on his gums?

Let me know and i will try to help....

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
He seems to be urinating normally. His penis is not out of the sheath. I had to pull the sheath back to look at his penis. No blood in the stools, no blood in any other orfice. I don't see any bruises anywhere.

It is bright red and when I moved the sheath back, some blood came into my hand but when I did it the second time with a sterile 4X4 there was no blood at that time. The blood is bright red and he is not nutered and has never been bred.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 6 years ago.
I see your previous expert is no longer available so I will go ahead and answer.
By far, my greatest suspicion has to do with the prostate gland. Very commonly, conditions like prostate infections, prostate cysts, prostatitis, and prostate tumors can cause this bleeding. Certainly, conditions like bladder stones or a urinary tract infection are also common, but I am worried about the prostate.
Ideally, you should get a urine test performed, and if possible, an ultrasound (if the vet has one) of the prostate gland is almost a must.
Treatment will depend greatly on what is seen or not seen and the urine test result.
Sometimes, castration may be required as part of the solution.

Good Luck
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience: UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I don't want to have him catherized for a urine sample because sometimes it causes more problems, is there a way to get a urine sample without it?
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 6 years ago.

I wouldn't catheterize anyway. Nearly 98% of my urine samples are taken by direct cystocentesis. This is a little needle poke directly into the bladder. Even better, is when the vet has an ultrasound to do it.

Catheterization is not usually performed as an "initial" step.