Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

my pug is pregnant and Im not sure how long she is as I didnt

my pug is pregnant and Im not sure how long she is as I didnt realize she was pregnant when I rec'd her..... she of course is showing, but today she's acting very unusual....shes not eating and Ive taken her temperture, which isnt over 100... its between 95-97. She's not eating like she normally does.... (remember, shes a pug, so she eats a lot and really fast and looks for more). Shes not her happy,bubbly self. Unfortunately, I dont have the finaces to take her to a vet everytime theres an issue because I researched the potential delivery and it may cost bertween 1XXX-XX-XXXX.00 for a C-Section, (so Im saving up for that). Do u have any ideas what I need to do... oh, BTW, Ive been touching her belly and I dont feel any movement from the puppys.... is that usual? I know I have a lot of questions, but I love my dog even though I just rec'd her.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 4 years ago.

Hello and Thank You for contacting JustAnswer
I am sorry to hear your baby is having trouble.

I would love to help I just need some additional information.

Is she showing any signs of contractions

Has she displayed nesting behaviors

Any discharge coming from her vulva

How long has her temp been low

Has there been any vomiting

Where did you get her

Are you sure she is pregnant

When did she begin showing

I may have more but this will get us started

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your willingness to help... okay, 1. let me start by saying I cant tell if she's in labor or having contractions because shes breating hard but again being a pug thats common... but as Im looking at her, she is breathing panting like she wants water, but shes not drinking water. I really dont think shes in labor.....2.)Shes not nesting... I have everything set up in my bathroom area and shes not going in circles or anything like that....3.) For the last week shes had a clear jelly coming from the vulva, (which I thought was normal) well I got tthat info form on line. 4.) She hasnt vomited but she did spit up some water... very small amount( I think she got chocked because she was clearing her throat. 5.) I rec'd her from on line using craigslist. 6.) I wasnt aware of shots so, I decided to start her treatment over... when I had taken her in, they said shes pregnant and advised not to rec shots until she delivers..7. I just started taking her temp within last week, using a reg themo, using it in the rectal... I thought that temp was normal and she she was ready to deliver her tem p would go up to 101-103. It may be possible Im doing this incorrectly. I thought it would be somehting like a humans preganany where I could feel something kicking but I dont feel anything. Shes hug, almost stomach hanging to the ground. So I dont know how many weeks she is. I hope Ive answered the questions okay...... but please help... do u think I need to take her to the vet now? meaning immediately? I was trying to hold out just in case she needed a C-section but I dont want anything to happen to her..... your thoughts are much appreciated.....

Expert:  Candy replied 4 years ago.

Ok,

What a lucky girl she is to have found you. You are doing the right things and I commend you on researching as you have. The temp is actually just the opposite then you have suspected. The normal temp is 101-103 it will drop below 99 24 hours before delivery.

I understand your financial concerns however if she has had a low temp for more then 24 hours coupled with the discharge for a week I would suggest you have her seen right away. You should be able to feel the babes move and if not this along with the other symptoms could indicate a problem with the pups or infection in the uterus

The panting is most likely a sign of pain which could indicate she is feeling contractions.

I think you could be safe taking her in now as she is showing most of the signs of being in labor, they may watch her and suggest she have the pups there where she can be monitored or opt to go ahead with the c-section at this time.

I am so excited for you and believe you will have pups very soon perhaps tonight, please let me know how she is doing I will be on for awhile tonight.

Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns

Candy

Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience: Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thank you for your help, I appreciate it... I'll definitely let you know the status... thanks

Expert:  Candy replied 4 years ago.
You are very welcome I look forward to hearing from you,Good luck