Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

my dog just ate crisco - is there anything we can do to help

My wire fox terrier just ate approx. half a stick of crisco - is there anything we can do to help her or prevent pancreatitis? She seems fine right now but we are worried about how she will react this evening. ANYTHING we can do to prevent pancreatitis we will do... Please help!
Thanks for the question.

I will be very pleased to try and answer your question but to enable me to do so with accuracy I need to know a little bit more information, so first can you tell me :

1. Crisco being the vegetable oil based shortening?

2. Has your dog a history of pancreatitis?

This is just a information request for which you have not been charged, I am online at present. I will answer your question shortly after receiving your reply.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
1. Yes - the vegetable based shortening

2. No history of pancreatitis but has always had a sensitive stomach
Thanks for the quick reply.

While I cannot diagnose this over the internet I can tell you the following :

1. It does not follow as night follows day that your dog will get pancreatitis following swallowing the Crisco in fact as this is a one off incident in an animal with no history of pancreatitis I think this would be very unlikely indeed.

2. Many dogs will of course eat all sorts of rubbish at any and every opportunity and in almost all cases they get away with this.

3. In the meantime what you should do is to give your dog some milk to drink and keep a good eye on her. Contact your vet if any symptoms occur but I think that this would be very unlikely.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you! I read that ingesting crisco and other high in fat, oily substances was a leading cause of pancreatitis. She rarely eats anything bad - this was a very unusual behavior for her. At the time of my question, we'd just woken her up (she was already asleep) and engaged her in play and she seemed fine. As it's nighttime I didn't want to go to sleep without knowing if there was something I could be doing for her. Can I just ask one more question -- what does the milk do to counteract her symptoms? I've never heard of feeding a dog milk!
Hello again,

The milk would just serve to settle her digestive tract down as a sudden amount of oily substance like the Crisco could well produce an outflow of digestive enzymes and stomach acid, the milk would counteract it to some extent.