Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery

what are the symptoms off e coli in dogs

what are the symptoms off e coli in dogs?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 6 years ago.
What sort of symptoms are you seeing? What area of the body are you concerned about?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Alfie has had severe diarrhea, lost weight, passed blood a few times, vomiting and also had 3 fits in the last 6 months. The vet was not worried about these fits at all, more interested in the diarrhea thats why the changed in diet. He has been eating chicken breast with rice or white fish with rice 3-4 times a day for 4 weeks now. The diarrhea seems to have cleared up a bit. Just when things are looking better with him he had a fit this morning. He was also off his food for a few weeks before I changed his diet. He was on dry food only Iams or Bakers. He is a Shar pei and is almost 2 yrs old.
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 6 years ago.
Fits, or seizures, are not likely to be associated with food, unless there is mold or other spoilage of the food. Most young dogs with seizures will have one of a few possible issues going on:

-- Idiopathic Epilepsy, which is a common condition where seizures occur without explanation

-- Portosystemic Shunts, which is a problem in the liver that normally is diagnosed in puppies, this can also cause diarrhea and other digestive signs,

-- Steroid-responsive meningitis, which is seen in labradors, malteses, and pugs, but could be seen in any breed, in theory.

The chronic on-off digestive issues you described, make me more suspicious of problems such as IBD (inflammatory bowel disease), or possibly Addison's disease, or other issues such as chronic parasite infestation.

I think it's foolish to "not care about" the fits, as those are potentially damaging to the nervous system, and should be evaluated by a specialist, if your veterinarian is unwilling to look further.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How do I go about testing for these conditions? Is it through blood tests? What is Addison's disease?
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 6 years ago.
Blood tests, dietary trials with low-allergen foods such as Hill's Z/D or Purina HA, and possibly even a spinal tap to diagnose any type of brain issue causing the seizures. Addison's disease is an illness caused by insufficient hormone production by the adrenal glands, leading to intermittent digestive issues, intermittent weakness and other cardiovascular issues. It is diagnosed with a special blood test.