Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

What are signs of possible bee sting or bumble bee sting on

What are signs of possible bee sting or bumble bee sting on a dog? Yesterday I saw my
dog heavily panting and sitting in my tile bathroom. (which she NEVER does). At first I thought it was heat stroke. She won't come out of the bathroom, finally she did and I took a towel and wet it. She liked it and walked around with it on her and finally laid down with the wet towel on her for about 20 minutes. She stopped panting, but TODAY she's quite and is shivering every few minutes.

So now I thought of a bee sting. Please help
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 6 years ago.

Dogs can have allergic reactions to insect bites as can humans. . Most dogs don't have much problems with a few sting and bites. You can give Benadryl at a dosage of 2 mg per pound every 8 hours as a preventative. You can put a paste of baking soda on the sites as well. You can apply an ice pack as well but be sure the dog does not become uncomfortable from the cold of the ice pack.

The symptom is usually site pain, site swelling, and more severe reactions would include vomiting, diarrhea, trouble breathing. Of course, if it appears your dog has difficulty breathing you will have to take your dog into the Vet as they are having a severe reaction.

Many different things can cause constant panting. Heavy panting can be caused by heart problems, lung problems, fever, or bronchitis. You can read about this here:

Dogs pant for various reasons. They pant to cool down, but they also pant when they are under stress, in pain, or afraid. There can also be medical causes such as neurological problems, respiratory disorders, and Heart problems such as heartworm, anemia, and fever.

If your dog is panting but has no other symptoms, keep a watch on her However, now your dog is shivering which could indicate pain as panting can. So I would suspect that your dog has some pain. This might be abdominal or back, but at this point it would be difficult to say since there really are not any other symptoms. If she is eating and drinking and eliminating, then I would try and get her seen tomorrow if she still seems unchanged. I would recommend at least bloodwork.

Be sure and check her anal glands as some dogs will sit on tile when the anal glands are bothering them. When full these can be painful. You can read about this here:

I hope this information is helpful to you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks again. I wanted to make sure you got the 10 dollar tip! I love this site!

Thanks for the accept. I have gotten the original $9 but it does not show any tip (bonus). So if you got an error, it does not appear to have gone through.
It does now show the bonus. Thank you very much.