Terri Riba
Terri Riba, Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in canine health and behavior. 20 years of experience with dogs

My toy poodle constantly has little pink warts that grow to

My toy poodle constantly has little pink warts that grow to be much larger warts all over her body. These have been removed several times by my veterinarian with a laser but keep recurring on different parts of her body. They make her totally miserable. They started occurring about 4 years ago, and she is in her 13th year. Any suggestions on how to prevent these miserable warts? [email protected]

Dear friend,

I am sorry your baby has this trouble.The problem is these is these papillomas are cause by a virus, similar to the one that causes human warts.

You can read about this here:

Unfortunately, these things often grow back after surgery to remove them.

TREATMENT from the link:

"In most cases, treatment is unnecessary; one simply allows the papillomas to go away on their own. Occasionally an unfortunate dog will have a huge number of tumors, so many that consuming food becomes a problem. Tumors can be surgically removed or frozen off cryogenically. Sometimes crushing several growths seems to stimulate the host's immune system to assist in the tumor regression process. In humans, anti-viral doses of interferon have been used to treat severe cases of warts and this treatment is also available for severely infected dogs. Sometimes some of the warts can be removed and made into a "vaccine" which is felt to stimulate the immune system in removing the tumors, though such vaccines do not seem to be as effective as one might want and there is presently no manufacturer making them.

Effective therapy for viral papillomas has been elusive though recently (May 2008) a study was published by a veterinary research group in Turkey found that a 10 day course of the antibiotic azithromycin was able to remove all lesions within 15 days with no recurrences during an 8 month follow up period. This therapy is readily available in the U.S. and is likely to become treatment of choice."

Talk to her vet about azithromycin an please let me know how she is doing.

I hope this helps her.

Warmest best wishes,