Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 16+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

my dog is about 51 days preganet she has had milk in her brests

Customer Question

my dog is about 51 days preganet she has had milk in her brests for 3 days now she is swollen on her bottom and she has the slimey stuff come out once in a while do you have an estmate time she will have her pups?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomer

There are three stages to labor. During the first stage the cervix dilates and contractions begin. Your female will be uncomfortable, restless, pace and pant. This lasts 6-18 hours. During the second part of labor, your female's contractions begin in ernest. Her water breaks and puppies are delivered usually after 10-30 minutes of pushing. All puppies are born during this stage. The third stage of labor is after all pups have been delivered and is when a dog still has small contractions to expell fluids and/or placentas from the uterus.

You can read more about this here:
http://www.2ndchance.info/caninelaborstages.htm

A dog's gestational period (pregnancy) is approximately 63 days from first breeding. One way of knowing when your dog with have her puppies is to take her temperature twice daily at the same time each day as her due date gets close. Keep a record of this.

A dog's normal temperature is between 101-102.5F degrees. Her temperature may rise and fall during this time, but once her temperature falls below 99 degrees, she should go into labor in the next 24 hours. The temperature drop is due to a reduction in serum progesterone levels and signals that the dog will start labor within 24 hours.

You can read about this at:
http://www.labbies.com/reproduction1.htm

You may also notice her breasts swelling during this last week of pregnancy and some milk leakage. Dogs will usually become restless and increase their digging and nesting behavior during the last week. You will notice an increase in her panting as well as a mucous discharge. You may also notice some abdominal contractions or rippling as her time grows closer. Do not be surprised if your dog is very restless and vomits as few times during this last week.

Once your dog's temperature has dropped, please do not leave her alone in case of complications. As she enters actual labor you should be able to see her contractions and most dogs will begin looking at their hindquarters. An increase of licking of the genitals is normal before and during labor. Be sure and have an emergency Vet's phone number readily available just in case of an emergency during the birthing of the puppies.

Here is an excellent site about whelping.
http://www.k9web.com/dog-faqs/medical/whelping.html

Some other signs that my dogs always seem to exhibit are lack of appetite, frequent urination and frequent small, runny bowel movements in the day before labor starts. Frequently my dogs will start looking at their rears when the first real contractions start.

I hope you find this information helpful.
.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
frequent urination and frequent small, runny bowel movements alot of that today but she still has a appetite but she does not stay still for very long see like she's unconfertable this may help if i tell you shes a blue tick coon hound does this mean she's in the first stages of labour?

Cindy,

Let's hope not. Puppies born before 59 days seldom make it. If you know she mated for the first time 51 days ago, then you have probably at least 10 more days to go. If you lay her on her side and feel between her rib and hind leg about half way up between the breasts and back, can you feel puppies moving around?

You should be able to the last week of pregnancy. A day or two before delivery, they will not be as active. I have only had one female out of about 15 that would still eat the day before delivery and she would have vomiting that whole day because she kept eating. Since your dog is still eating, I think she is just uncomfortable because she is getting big and the puppies are pushing against her bladder and she probably has worms at this point since pregnancy triggers worm eggs to hatch to ensure worm survival.

Go ahead and get a good themometer and take her temperature and you'll probably find she is about 101 or 100F. You'll want to take it twice a day at the same time each day so you don't miss the drop in temperature. She should be nesting now which is digging around in a dark place or scratching and looking for a good place to whelp in, so if there is some area you want her to whelp at, you should start preparing now.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
she could of been sooner she was in heat for a week before we noticed the 2 of them got together so i'm saying 51 from the time i seen them attached together, yes i feel them moving but its little bit , i'm a little worried about getting and taking her temp becasue i've never done it before and i'm not sure what themometer to get , i'm just going to go by the days and when she stops eating i have a place for her already made up and a few time a night she does go there , but at night she wines every hour this is not normal for her she 's a big suck and follows me everywhere when i leave the house she freaks so i know she needs me when she goes in labour
Cindy,

Read the whelping site I gave you over well. The more you know, the calmer you will be and the calmer she will be. It is likely that you won't have to do anything but watch and be thrilled at holding a newborn life in your hands. That is the normal thing. Occasionally other things happen that need your assistance, so it is best to be prepared. I would get a regular $6 digital thermometer (i like the ones that give you a reading in 30 seconds) and practice. You lay her down on the floor and rub her belly, with vasoline on the thermometer, you slip it in and count the required number of seconds while you stroke her stomach. Then read the temperature and record it so you don't forget. I don't record, but I've been doing it so long, I usually don't need to do the temperature thing unless I have prior engagements. I have been known to take my girl with me and have had to leave at least one appointment due to a female going into labor while we were out. So it is best to stay home with them and learn to take their temperature.

It will drive you crazy waiting for them to go into labor. I think once she does, though, you will see exactly what I mean in my post about her behavior and reactions. .
Experience: Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 16+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you for your help, i'm hoping for a smooth labour but i'm really if something does go wrong , i will take her temp thanks so much

You're welcome. Let me know how it turns out. I'm not due to have pups for another few months and I do miss them.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i will do so, will let you know the date from now to see how close it is i'm so excided my baby is going to be a mama...... 10 days and count (extimate)

Cindy,

You have me excited as well. Do not press accept because you have already done so.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
just wanted to let you know still no pups it's now the 58th day been feeling them move for just about a week , she is sooo big now hoping she will have them on monday which will be the 62nd day will let you know
Cindy,

I'm sick, so I'm kinda stuck in bed, but I'll keep checking to see how things are going. Just a heads up, they frequently start in the middle of the night and many first time mom's will yelp with the first pup.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
all night i have been taking her temp it's been going from 99.4 to 99.6 all night and she keeps going into the closet and dragging the blankets, so i'm not sure wheater she is in labour or not cause its not below 99, hope your feeling better soon

Cindy,

I hope I feel better soon, too! since it hasn't dropped yet, it probably won't be today. She is getting real close though. Her actions along with her temperature show that she should deliver in the next couple of days. It seems to me that they deliver at the most inconvenient time. Try taking her temperature only a few times a day. The temperature does remail low for at least 12 hours, so you won't miss the drop. She should be due on Tuesday. Try and relax and have everything ready for her. You should probably catch up on as much sleep as you can so it doesn't hit you too hard staying up all night when she delivers. Even if she manages to deliver during the day, first time puppies tend to keep owners up the first few nights worrying about them.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok checked her temp 3 hours ago , her puppies are still moving so i figured she was not in labour yet but i was thinking they were getting in position for the deliverey , i'll take her temp again in another 4 hours or so she seems not to mind me doing it don't bother her at all i think she just knows i'm helping her

Cindy,

I usually see a reduction in puppy movement the day before delivery. I always assume it is the beginning of labor and the urterine horns are contracting leaving little space for the pups to move.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hey there i just took her temp and its now 99 its dropped.6 in a few hours and now she feeling really warm to the touch and is shaking is she ok? and is it ok to take breeze for a short walk aroud the block
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok but i still need to know if its ok to take her for a walk? a short walk
its seems like there is a pup way down by her botXXXXX XXXXXke it seems if she pushed it would fly out

Cindy,

It is very much ok to take her for a walk. I usually spend quite a lot of time walking my girls the day before delivery and even the day of delivery. Take along a towel just in case and if at night, take a flashlight as well. Some dogs won't push inside and the first pup ends up being born outside in the grass. The towel can make carrying it inside easier while keeping it warm.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hi there Jane

Breeze temp is down to 98.7 and is still resting but breathing a little heavier i had to check twice to make sure she is going in labour now right?
maybe tonight?

Cindy,

She should go into labor within the next 24 hours. I'm going to have to try and stay up or at least check in all night long to see if you have puppies.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
should i keep the father away? they useally sleep with us under the blankets but should i put him in with the kids?

Cindy,

Most females will not tolerate other dogs around her once she starts into labor and will even attack them if they get too close to the puppies, so you might want to keep her in the area you have set aside for her to deliver in and keep him in a seperate place like the kid's room.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok i will let you know if something happens i'm laying down with her and trying to sleep while she is talk to you soon

Cindy,

You sound like me. I sleep on a couch next to the whelping area when I have a dog whose temperature has dropped. Even then I don't get much sleep. You get some sleep.

Edited by Jane Lefler on 3/22/2010 at 1:39 PM EST

Cindy,

I was going over everything i've mentioned to you and noticed that I didn't tell you what you can do if mom's cleaning the pup off doesn't get the pup breathing. So if a puppy has just been born and doesn't start breathing on its own with mom licking and cleaning everything off, you want to take your bulb syringe and clear the fluid out of the mouth. Holding the puppy firmly head down you will want to briskly rub the puppy vigorously with a clean dry towel. This sometimes stimulates the puppy into breathing.

If the puppy does not start breathing, you can perform mouth to nose to get them breathing again as well. Hold the mouth closed and breathe gently into its nose. Do not blow hard and then rub the puppy briskly and pat the back.

Here is a site that discusses the technique for a dog, the techniques are similar.
http://www.dog-toy.co.uk/dogarticles/?article=485

I've probably overloaded you with information, but if something does go wrong, at least you will have an idea of what to do in advance.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
just want to let you know no pups yet her temp is back up to 99.6 is it normal to drop and then go back up?

Cindy,

It is normal for the temperature to go back up. I believe it stays below 99F for at least 12 hours or so which is why we take the temperature twice a day. Most dogs do prefer whelping at night and some will not push in the house as it can seem to them like their bladder is full. Is she still eating or has she pretty much stopped? Has she been wanting to defecate a lot? Perhaps it is a little on the loose side? Those are things my dogs do before delivering.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
she has pretty much stopped eating she did have a treat , but it looked like she was going to throw it up ,but kept it down she's been just standing stairing at me and shaking she was weeping all night we took her for a walk about an hour ago and she stopped alot to pee but nothing came out, she's confusing me weather she is in labour or not ...not sure she's is acting not like herself

Cindy,

Sounds like the start to me. The puppies moving down press on the bladder making the dog think they have to urinate, but of course, there is nothing to come out. Keep an eye on her. With some dogs you can actually see the stomach contract upward like when humans suck in their guts. Other dogs, you can't see the contractions just the dog panting a bit harder or trembling.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
should i take her out for more walks wil this help her? or should i stay in and watch her?its raining out don't want her to have a pup outside ...

Cindy,

Since it is raining, I would leave her in unless you feel she really needs to go. You don't want her coat wet or a pup to get chilled in the rain. If there is a break in the rain, give her a quick walk remembering to take a towel.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok i'm so excided its like a suspence novel ....lol she's laying beside me moving alot she's trying to sleep but she can't stay one way for 2 long
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok i'm so excided its like a suspence novel ....lol she's laying beside me moving alot she's trying to sleep but she can't stay one way for 2 long..how did you handle your dog yelpig from the first pup when you had your first litter
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok i'm so excided its like a suspence novel ....lol she's laying beside me moving alot she's trying to sleep but she can't stay one way for 2 long..how did you handle your dog yelpig from the first pup when you had your first litter....jane i just took her temp it's down to 98.3 i did it twice to make sure and its is 98.3 i'm kinda worried

Cindy,

Don't worry. It is not time to worry. The temperature will go up and down. What drives me crazy is when it goes from 100F to 99.2 then up to 100.6 and down to 99.5 then up again and doesn't drop below 99F. But if you have multiple temperatures below 99F, then you are looking at puppies real soon. She seems to be doing good right now. This is probably the hardest part because of the waiting. Just let her be and comfort her. I usually am massaging my females and rubbing their belly and even stroking their faces. It give me something to do and keeps the girls calm when they are restless. I sometimes can feel contractions this way as well. My first litter, my female did not yelp. My other females all yelp with the first pup. That pup is stretching the birth canal and the dog isn't quite sure what is going on either. I think it is partly that the pain is unexpected rather than severe and they give the yelp and then they are so busy licking and smelling the new pup that they forgot all about it.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
from your expearience do you think they are going to be born tonight? when i asked you you estimated tuesday does that mean tonight after ,midnight or tomorrow night? its been 24 hours from when her temp first dropped and now its extremly low again.....just need a little time frame

Cindy,

Mine have always started having pups within 24 hours of the temperature drop. Of course, I was only taking it twice a day. I think she should be having them tonight. Now we have had people that used old thermometers that were off and not accurate and thus the pups aren't born within the 24 hour range. That has happened a couple of times in the past 5 years with clients of mine. But your dog's due date is tomorrow and she has stopped eating her normal food and has the frequent urination signs that all point toward tonight. I wouldn't wait up. I would try and take a nap when ever I could. Dogs tend to like going into labor at the most inconvenient time. I had one go into labor during karate class. Try relaxing and resting a bit.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the thermometer we have is new we just bought it and i tested it on the father and his temp is 102 so i think its right i'm so excided i'll keep you informed as things progress

Cindy,

I'll be waiting.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hey jane breeze did eat a little and has not throwen it back up, it wasn't very much and the babies are still moving around,her temp is back to 99.8 so does that mean she not in labour

Cindy,

It doesn't mean she is not in labor. It's her first litter so she may eat a little to keep her stomach from being too empty. Her temperature will flucuate. It is really hard to know for sure. I've been breeding for over 16 years now and once in a while one will throw me and I'll be waiting a whole day just to go to sleep and wake up with a pup already born. Over the internet, it is an even harder call.

Remember that dogs have been having pups without our help for a long time and most likely she will do the same. I'm sorry but I can't recall her breed.. Some small breeds do have more difficult births than larger breeds.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
shes a blue tick hound ...hope they will surprise me and have them tonight will keep in touch

Cindy,

How cool. Blue tick hounds are fabulous dogs. My ex-neighbor had one and she was beautiful. A bit high energy for me, but a wonderful girl. Try and be patient.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
she's driving me crazy...no pups just took her temp it was 97.6 and took it again it was 98.2 .....it seems she's never going to have these pups she has kept me up for 3 nights in a row she just don't want to have them...

Cindy,

She has to have them soon. Even though the thermometer is new, it might be off. Or maybe it isn't far enough in the rectum (should be about an inch) to register the correct temperature. I'm not sure why she hasn't. If you can, just go to sleep. Though knowing dogs that is when she'll have them. You do need to sleep.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i'm pretty sure i have the right temp. cause i check jake and his is normal
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
and shes eatting again so i take that no pups are comming

Cindy,

She may have to eat a little to keep her strength up. I've never had a dog's temperature drop without having pups arrive on time. She is on day 62 today.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
if i was taking her temp wrong i relly don't think it would come up about the same every time i do it

Cindy,

I think you are probably taking it right. You are supposed to have the tip in about an inch. If it is the regular type, then it needs to be left in place for a full minute. If using digital ones, you need to wait for the indicator which is usually a beep or a light. The temperature drop is a well documented indicator but of course every dog like people are different. She obviously is not in distress and isn't "pushing" so it isn't a case of her having a difficult delivery. All I can recommend at this point is to be patient and monitor her.

.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hi jane no pups yet but her temp is still below 99 it's at 98.6 she's got me baffled cause it goes fromm 99.4 back to 98.7 back and forth so still can't tell if she is going to have her pups tonight or not

Cindy,

While I'm not there, I feel much the same as you do. She is baffling me as well. We've had other clients state their dog didn't go into labor within 24 hours, but they have always been cases where the thermometer was old or they were not leaving it in long enough. I'll be here for you when she starts though. I've been checking every few hours every night.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
its digital thermometer so it beeps when its done and i checked 3 times just to make sure so hopefully tonight , we do still have jake in the room there cuddleing together and she wines when i take him away , when she starts to push i will take him out but for now is it ok for him to be here or will she not even try when he's in here could that be why its taking so long?

Cindy,

If she is ok with him there, then it is fine. You will want to remove him. She may attack him and sometimes males are not good around newborn pups. My males are good, but I always wait until the pups are older to let him around them with mom there. It isn't cause he's there. She can't really stop labor. She might not push, but she would still be having contractions.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
still no pups...i don't get it...is it possible if her temp goes under 99 that she's just got a fever or something?.....the puppys are still rolling around alot they havn't slowed down breeze didn't eat today or lastnight , i don't know if i should worry or not

Cindy,

Dogs can have lower temperatures for other reasons, but usually those are things like she was cold for an extended period of time or illness. You can read about it here:

. http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/cardiovascular/c_multi_hypothermia

Since it is well past 24 hours after the temperature drop, you might want to contact your vet just for a check. He's likely to ask you some questions about her behavior, temperature, eating, etc to determine whether he wants to see her or not.

From your description, she doesn't seem to be in distress. I'm going to give you the sites that discuss this, but at this point, having her checked would be the only course of action I can suggest. Most vets will not induce labor until a dog is a week overdue. Still, if your vet may decide to give a shot of oxytocin to kick start labor. Here are the sites I mentioned before.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/dystocia-difficult-birth-in-dogs/page1.aspx
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1628&articleid=899

Let me know.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i talked to the vet, they said just wait it out cause she's not in pain and tomorrow would be the 65th day they will not induce her intill she is showing signs of labour and ifs its not progressing , they told me if i brought her in would give her more stress and prolong the labour, if she was to have signs of labour then couldn't get a pup out then to bring her in , so for now there telling me to wait it out , i hate the waiting game uhg

Cindy,

I thought that was what he would say, but to be responsible, I had to have you call him. At least he didn't have you come in to tell you that which is good. I've got carpool to skating tonight around 5-7pm. It is 2.:51 my time. So if you don't get a response during those times that is why.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok same time here, she really wants to go for a walk so i'm going to take her maybe that will help

Cindy,

Yep. Keep her moving.. It certainly won't hurt.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
getting a little worried breeze seems to be so tired.. lastnight i woke up she was standing right beside my bed i called her up but she wouldn't come up so i fell back asleep to wake up 2 hours later with her still standing in the same spot, i bent down and felt her belly and the pups were just rounding around like crazy non stop they wont let her sleep , i make her come in bed and i rocked her asleep poor girl , i hope she has them soon i took her temp this morning and it was 98.4 , so hope she'll have them soon... tomorrow morning me and braqd go to doctors so she will be left alone for about 2 hours going to try and get my nebour to sit with her but not sure if she can , that will probably be the time she has them

Cindy,

Sorry I was outside fixing one of my pens. Remember what I told you about the most inconvenient time. I had one that was close and then her temp dropped in the morning but I had karate class, so I took her with me. Sure enough that was when she started. She has to have them soon.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i took her to thedog park and we just got back she's beside me really unconforable and she's panting and then stops and pants again so i think she might be staring contrastions she never pants ever
I hate to get your hopes up after the last few days. You do know that you are going to have to upload some pictures when they get here. I feel like a potential grandma..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
lol i will do so, right now she's laying in the closet where we made her bed for her and the pups she has stopped panting tho kinda sucks cause i thought she was getting somewhere , i just want her to be able to sleep

Cindy,

She is not a little dog and blue tick hounds don't normally have whelping problems, so if your bed is close, I'd go ahead and take a nap. Maybe your partner can keep an ear out while sleep for a bit. The panting might indicate contractions. If it does, it will take a while for them to get closer together.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
jane, now she's non stop panting , and she's laying down and whining every so often, i really think as is having contractions ,she will not let me leave her
Yeah......
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
will let you know when ones comming out or is out

Cindy,

Thanks. I'm probably not going to answer too many other customers tonight, so I can be here if you need me.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanx i will more and likely need you...right now she's beside me panting i like it looks like she's smiling lol....she never pants not even if its hot out

cindy,

What you are going to want to look for now is if she has a sudden urge to go outside. My dogs have signals to let me know they need to go out. One comes and knocks the door with her head. So if she suddenly has an urge than might mean a pup is pretty far down.

Right before one is born you'll see her turn her head and look at her rear. At that point, you should get ready.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
my husband wants to know..."brad" ever since the frist temp drop was 3 nights ago she has completly restless since then now she's starting to pant , i think she'll go pretty quick " is it possilbe she will have them sooner then 6 to 18 hours?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
my husband wants to know..."brad" ever since the frist temp drop was 3 nights ago she has completly restless since then now she's starting to pant , i think she'll go pretty quick " is it possilbe she will have them sooner then 6 to 18 hours? HE WATER JUST BROKE ALL OVER MY LEG!!!

Cindy,

First time mother will probably not be quick, but there really is no way of telling for sure. They do like late nite deliveries and probably will take hours for all the pups to be born. I hope she goes tonight but that is going to make tomorrow's activities rough for all since you will be beat and worrying about newborns. Remember to write down the times so you know how long between pups. There will be a longer break between pups in the middle as one horn of the uterus has delivered all that horn's pup and the other side starts to deliver.

Yippee. you should have a pup very soon

Edited by Jane Lefler on 3/26/2010 at 2:00 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
HER JUST BROKER ALL OVER MY LEG LOL
Great. The water breaking is the sac around a puppy, so you should see a puppy very quickly. If you don't within an hour, it can indicate a problem. Sometimes, a puppy will be reabsorbed and there will be just a sac with no pup. It does happen but is not all that common. So expect a pup soon.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I NOW SEE SLIme with a bit of blood
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I NOW SEE SLIme with a bit of blood... she keeps wanting to walk around

Cindy,

Almost there. Try and keep her in the right area, but some do walk around at this point. She may sit to deliver or even lay down. Each dog is different.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
nothing yet just drops of slime and alot of panting

Cindy,

That first one is the roughest as it opens up the canal. Remember that she might not push in the house. So you might want to take the towel outside and see if she will push there.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i took her out and she pushed and some stuff came out but she wanted back in so i let her in she ran back to the room

Cindy,

I hate hurry up and wait moments. I know for you it is worse.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
shes pushing i see a slimy bay shes resing 1 more puch 1st 1 is here

I'm waiting.. patiently I think.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
we got a sac thats sticking out but dont look like a pup is inside of it

cindy,

There is a pup most likely. Be patient. Another couple of pushes and you should see puppy.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
pup out its breach shes licking the bum not the head

Cindy,

Give her a minute or two to get it clean. It's all the licking and roughness and pulling that gets them breathing.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
2 pups but she hasn't pushed the first sac out
The first sac may have been all that bloody slimy stuff or she may have eaten it. They eat it pretty quick and you can miss it.
Are they boys or girls??
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no the 1st pups cord is still in her bum i can't check casue there still stuck instide of mommy

Cindy,

Ahh.. Be sure an monitor that. It should come out before another pup, With twins though the second pup can come first.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
see just pushed the plasenta out the pup after the second pupand another plasata she's not eatting it or taking off the cords
Well if you are cutting the cords, be sure to crush the cord between your fingers and cut at least an inch away from the belly. I
Well if you are cutting the cords, be sure to crush the cord between your fingers and cut at least an inch away from the belly. I try
Well if you are cutting the cords, be sure to crush the cord between your fingers and cut at least an inch away from the belly. I try to
Well if you are cutting the cords, be sure to crush the cord between your fingers and cut at least an inch away from the belly. I try to get them
Well if you are cutting the cords, be sure to crush the cord between your fingers and cut at least an inch away from the belly. I try to get them to
Well if you are cutting the cords, be sure to crush the cord between your fingers and cut at least an inch away from the belly. I try to get
Well if you are cutting the cords, be sure to crush the cord between your fingers and cut at least an inch away from the belly. I try to get them to eat o

to continue lol

I try to get them to eat one afterbirth as it can help with labor. If you can get the pups nursing that will strengthen contractions but it sounds like she is doing great.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
done 2 cords cut shes licking them and nursing there both boys
Aww.. do they look like mom
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no like dad like little cows

Awww.. I've found that for my girls there tends to be about the same amount of pups in each horn of the uterus. So if I have 4 pups delivered then an extra long break between them and then start with more pups, there will usually be about the same number. This is just my observation and not a rule. I've never really asked other breeders what there experience is, but I don't think my dogs are "special"

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
she is now eatting the plasenta so how many pups you think she'll have if she has had 2 already

Hard question.. I usually "count" my pups before they are born and still are off by a couple at birth. Many people have an x-ray done to know for sure.

The breed tends to have large litters and 7-8 is a common litter size. I would guess 6 myself, but that is all that is "a guess".

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
shes still resting i say 4 my husband says 6 so we will see
You never can tell. I had a girl have 12 pups and it was 4 hours since the last one was born so I went to bed at 5am. Got up to go to work at 7am and counted pups (cause that is what you do when you have pups is count them all the time) .. There was 13 pups.. LOL
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
useally how long does the rest period last intil she has the rest?
It various. Most of mine do double the time between regular delivery. Your pups came right on top of one another. We usually say if it is longer than an hour between pups they need to be seen. Your vet will probably request a longer period of time. If a dog is not having contractions, I will give them longer. Labor can last 13 hours or longer depending on the number of pups. I would think that you would be seeing another puppy soon. Nursing puppies do trigger contractions.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
there having problems finding a boob

cindy,

Very normal. And short of forcing open their mouth and putting it on a nipple which I wouldn't do at this point, there really isn't much to do. I just make sure they are near one and let them root around till they find one.

Aren't they just so precious. .

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it seem like she's not having contractsions she's just shaking no more panting i take it , that it will come back? and we will have the rest of the pups ? we can feel the ones up in her tummy moving still

Cindy,

The shaking probably is pain related. I'd offer her some water to see if she is thirsty. If you can convince her to leave the pups, see if she'll eliminate outside. It may help get her pushing again. .

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
3rd pup is out
Wonderful..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
another boy
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
we brought our male in after the secound pup and breeze don't mind and hes helping her clean sooo cute what a good father.....and she didn't yelp not once
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
we brought our male in after the secound pup and breeze don't mind and hes helping her clean sooo cute what a good father.....and she didn't yelp not once.........PUPPY NUMBER 4 is here

Do you have people lined up for pups yet?

For my dogs, people tend to want boys, but I don't know about your breed.

Wow. No yelps and dad's helping. So good.

Rotties have big heads which might be why they yelp the first time.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
its a girl 3 boys one girl so far and i have 4 pups gone already not sure if they want boy or girl tho
That's great. so far she's doing so good.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
when i send pics where am i to send them?
Hmm.. we are not allowed to give our email address or personal information out. If they are small as fare as space used, you can upload them in the post using the little tree symbol on the toolbar above. If that doesn't work, I'll as a mod tomorrow how you can send them. I know they will pass them on to me, but I'm not sure what email address they would want me to use.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
graphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
graphicgraphic not sure if that worked but i'm going to lay down for a bit while brad watches breeze so tomorrow i'll try to send you ones of the pup

It didn't work. I guess they were larger than the size limit. I'll find out tomorrow morning.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok well are you allowed to look my name up on facebook jsut to look at the pics? not to reply or anything just to look at pics
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok well are you allowed to look my name up on facebook jsut to look at the pics? not to reply or anything just to look at pics....Another dog this one looks likes mom but another boy
I'll see if they allow that. I'll try to stay up just in case anything happens.
Cindy,

Amazingly enough, I have still not made it to bed due to some other things that came up. I have been told you can send pictures toXXX@XXXXXX.XXX and attn: Lori probably in subject line . Be sure and put in that they are for me. I do appreciate it and hope everyone is doing fine.

Edited by Jane Lefler on 3/26/2010 at 2:00 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hi jane ended up with 4 males and 4 females will e-mail the pics thanks for all your help... without you i would be able to do it...thank you so much

Cindy,

A good size litter. I'm glad everything is going well. Let me know if you need anything else.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i just sent the pictures of the pups mom and dad just like i promised , let me know what you like of my babies thanks again
I will. It might take her a little time to forward them to me. You give mom a little treat from me and tell her how good she did.

Cindy,

The pups are beautiful and so are the parents. It was an experience and I saw how the pups are definitely going to be well socialized.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi jane hope all is well i'm getting really wornder two days ago breeze stopped wanting to feed the pups , so i have been making her feed 2 at a time but clearly is not liking it

i was petting her this morning and realized that she has a bald spot on the top of her back where she can't reach, i notice the hair is comming off in chucks now there is a big bald spot , i'm not sure what to do , not let the pups feed?

tomorrow i can pick up pup milk supplement but still thats not until tomorrow any ideas?

Cindy

Cindy,

The feeding part is normal since it is weaning time. You do need to pick up some puppy formula or goats milk (in supermarkets near condensed milk) and soak puppy food in it until it is very puffy. Offer this to the puppies 4-5 times a day. I usually offer them the food first and then let them finish with mom. This helps her empty the breast of any left over milk in the breast. Puppies usually wean pretty fast as the food is there for them where mom's milk is drying up.

Female dogs do blow their coat during and after delivery so there is a lot of hair loss. She really shouldn't have a bald spot, but it may be a combination of the hair loss from pregnancy and nursing and a hot spot from fleas. However, some dogs with a lowered immune system may develop non contagious demodectic mange as well. So I would recommend that you have her seen by your vet for a skin scraping to rule out mange.

I'm glad the puppies are doing good. it won't be long before they are driving you crazy. Once they are eating puppy food, mom will no longer clean up their feces and urine, so be prepared to constantly be cleaning their area. I usually put down about 50 layers of newspaper at a time and then I can just pull up layers as needed to keep the area clean.

Hope this helps