Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

my dog cries when she pees and i cant afford to take her to

Customer Question

my dog cries when she pees and i cant afford to take her to the vet
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 6 years ago.

Hi ,

Unfortunately, it sounds like your girl has a urinary tract infection. Common symptoms of a urinary tract infection are frequent urination, dribbling urine, blood in the urine, squatting frequently to urinate, strong odor to the urine, inappropriate urination and straining to urinate as well as an increase in fluid intake or painful urination. A dog with a UTI does not always show all the symptoms and typically displays 2 or 3.

I understand that you don't have the finances to have her seen, but for a UTI, she really needs to be seen to determine the proper antibiotic needed Two that are commonly used are cephalexin (Keflex) and Enrofloxacin (Baytril.
You can read about Keflex and dosages here:

You can read about Baytril and dosages here:

This site discusses UTI's and various medications used for treatments.

You should have your dog seen by a Vet for any UTI and should not administer any prescription medication without notifying your vet first. Since finances are an issue, perhaps one of the following organizations can help financially.

Help-A-Pet This group helps low income families with vet care.

IMOM This organization help people with emergency medical care in some cases.

Care Credit Quick application and approval for care credit card. You can sometimes apply and get approval while you are at the vet office.

American Animal Hospital Association
Helps animals that have been abandoned or if the owner is having financial hardships

Angels 4 Animals
This organization offers financial aid or treatment to those pets and owners in need.

Hope this helps.