Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My dog ate a whole box of raisin bran, we took her to the vet

My dog ate a whole box of raisin bran, we took her to the vet er and they had her vomit then gave her activated charcoal and gave IV fluids for 48 hours. Her blood numbers bun etc have been fine.
My issue is I brought her home tonight and she has been peeing more than normal for the last 5 hours like every hour and a half.
She has no other issues
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 6 years ago.

Hello and Thank You for contacting JustAnswer

Can you tell me if she was still on the IV fluids today until you picked her up.

Is she on any medication

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
she was on the Iv until picked up it was at the end of 48 hours and no medicine. She is a 75 lb rottweiller
Expert:  Candy replied 6 years ago.

Ok,

The excessive urination is most likely due to the IV fluids. The risk with raisins is kidney failure The reason she was getting the Iv fluids was to flush the kidneys, so she is doing exactly what they wanted her to do. Lots of fluid in lots of fluid out.

I would not worry at this point. Her blood tests were good, if there was a problem there would have most likely been some indication in the blood work.

I would watch her tonight if she is still urinating this often tomorrow afternoon I would contact your vet, however I suspect you will see a change by morning

I hope this has helped ease your mind somewhat.Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns

Candy

Edited by Candy on 3/9/2010 at 4:07 AM EST