Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

My dog is pregnant & her water broke at around 5 30p...its

My dog is pregnant & her "water" broke at around 5:30p...its now 10:20 and no puppies long does it usually take for the 1st puppy to arrive? She is an Olde English Bulldog & this is her 1st litter.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 6 years ago.

hi Nurse,

Was this a gush of fluid possibly clear or greenish in color?

Or is it a mucousy discharge from the vulva?

Is she having contractions that you can see?

Did she stop eating?

Any vomiting yesterday or today?

Can you describe her behavior?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
She had a big gush of clear fluid at 5:30, appetite has decreased a bit, no vomiting though. Can't say that I really see her contracting, actually right now she is sleeping. She been her normal self mostly behavior wise, not really restless, sleeping alot or laying down mostly.

You should see a puppy pretty close behind the water breaking. It has been much longer than it should have. The water breaking is the sac around a puppy breaking. If you don't see a puppy pretty quick, it means the puppy is stuck and unable to be delivered. Without the sac, the puppy can't survive for long. After this long, I would be surprised if this pup was still alive. If you have one pup stuck, the rest can not be delivered and their lives are also at risk.

Sometimes puppies are too large to be born and get stuck. Dogs can also experience uterine intertia and you need a visit to determine if a shot to restart labor is needed.

Most dogs in labor do not sleep though. If pregnancy was confirmed, I'd go ahead and have her checked by your vet. here is a site that goes over difficult labors in dogs.

Hope this helps.