ERAnimalNurse
ERAnimalNurse, Emergency Critical Care Nurse
Experience:  16+ years of veterinary experience
7788723

My dog seems to have an infected nipple. I noticed it on Wednesday

My dog seems to have an infected nipple. I noticed it on Wednesday evening, she was fine the day before. She has been going through a false pregnancy. Is there anything that I can do art home for her, because there isn't any money to take her to the vet.
Please help.
Category: Dog
Expert:  ERAnimalNurse replied 6 years ago.

I am sorry your dog is having trouble. It is very difficult to treat this kind of infection at home, as it typically requires antibiotics. Without medical attention, your dog can become extremely ill, not to mention experience a great deal of pain. Please see the following website for more information on mastitis.

http://pet-diseases.suite101.com/article.cfm/canine_mastitis

I am afraid that there is not a way to treat this problem effectively at home, and that the longer you wait to have your dog seen, the more difficult and expensive it will be to make her well again. You can contact your local humane society or SPCA and inquire about low cost animal hospitals in your area. These hospitals offer services at lower prices, and may be more affordable for you. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. If this has been helpful, please hit the green accept button. Best of luck with your dog :)

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is there any way that I can get anitbiotics for her. All of the vets around here require that you pay in full at the day seen and there hust isn't any money for that.
Without a vet visit, there is no way you can get antibiotics for her. This is a legal issue, as well as safer for your dog. Not all antibiotics are used to treat the same type of infection, and dosing is very specific for dogs, and varies from drug to drug. If a vet prescribes you a drug for your dog, and your dog gets worse, has a reaction or experiences a problem because of that drug, the vet is liable. This is why you won't get a prescription without a vet visit. Your best bet is a low cost hospital, I'm sorry that there is not much else to do.