Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

My dachshund has a lump on his snout about half of the size

My dachshund has a lump on his snout about half of the size of a marble a half inch away from his nose, it does not seem to hurt him unless you squeeze it hard, it is not hard, it is under the skin, a bit warm, and fleshy. There is no discoloration, He is almost 4 years old, he had the same thing about a week ago but it went down close to the normal size than got larger again. What could this be? Also what should we do, is there anything we can do at home before we take him in? is it something that will go away?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 years ago.

If this is just a hive, then it'll go down on it's own and giving Benadryl at 1 mg/lb will resolve it faster.

If it's still present after a couple days, then I'd get a needle aspirate done to find out what it is- this is the only way to tell what a skin mass is. The main rule out is a mast cell tumor as these are potentially malignant masses that can be cured if caught and removed early enough.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

graphicHow hhow many days max would a "hive" be present for and are there any differences between it and a tumor, here is a picture to show you what we are talking about

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 years ago.
That almost looks like an insect bite reaction, if that's the case it should go away after 3-5 days. If it doesn't, then get a needle aspirate to check cells.

Hives usually go away after 1-2 days.