Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My Chihuahua is getting a lot of cysts. Started with one.

My Chihuahua is getting a lot of cysts. Started with one. Vet said to watch it. I had it and one other one removed when the first one became irritated. One week lated she is breaking out with mmore and they are crusty and itchy. We sent one to biopsy today. Is this treatable?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 years ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. Determining if it is treatable is going to depend on what the biopsy report says. Hopefully, it is just sebacious cysts that are popping up. This is common in dogs. They are usually benign but can get infected often. If these are truly tumors and not cysts, I would be more concerned about them coming up in multiple areas. Even though most skin tumors in dogs are benign, that can be a sign of malignancy. Once your vet has the results back, it will give them a better idea on what treatment modality will be necessary. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps.