Gen B.
Gen B., Retired Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Lhasa,Shih Tzu Breeder/ B.A.Neurophysiology & Animal Behavior/I use plain English!
1298761

WE HAD OUR BEAGLES DEW CLAWS REMOVED LAST FRIDAY. THE WOUNDS

WE HAD OUR BEAGLE'S DEW CLAWS REMOVED LAST FRIDAY. THE WOUNDS ARE OPEN. IS THAT NORMAL? THEY WERE BANDAGED, BUT THE TECH SAID TO REMOVE THEM AND JUST USE VASELINE. AND THEY WILL PULL TOGETHER FINE ON THEIR OWN. ? WHAT IS YOUR OPINION?? THANX!!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Gen B. replied 7 years ago.
Hello and thanks for researching this very important question, and for your patience this afternoon!

Veterinarians that I have worked with always use sutures to close the skin over the flesh when an adult dog has dewclaws removed. I cannot comment on what your veterinary surgeon did or did not do...you would have to go in and have the feet checked by the surgeon to make sure that things are indeed going to heal.

Small open wounds can "granulate" and heal themselves....this takes a long time! This is not a "pulling together" process, rather the body has to lay down completely new cells, starting all around the edges of the wound and working toward the center. Suturing the edges of the wound together helps the body to form new skin cells more quickly and keeps the exposed flesh more protected.

Many things can go wrong during this process: especially if a dog is licking at the wounds, and certainly if there is any kind of infection developing.

Instead of vaseline, I would use an antibiotic ointment 3-4 times daily, and a shield-collar to prevent any over-licking.

If you have not spoken to the surgeon directly, then you do need to do this!

To get additional support at this time, please
"REPLY", otherwise I thank you in advance for clicking "Accept".