Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

My little yorkie started chewing on his feet yesterday. I

My little yorkie started chewing on his feet yesterday. I washed his feet this am with his normal shampoo. Been gone most of the day, but he just started chewing again tonight. We are on vacation from northern MN and visiting friends in Phoenix. They have a sheltie who is not chewing on his feet. What do you think and what can we do. We have looked his feet over and nothing appears to be between his pads or stuck to any pads.

Thank you for any help you can give.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 6 years ago.

Hi Jaguest,

It may be that your dog is having an allergic reaction. An allergic reaction is often the cause when a dog is excessively licking and/or chewing their paws. Thyroid problems can also cause paw problems as well. It's possible your dog has developed a secondary staph or yeast problem. If yeast you can try some miconazole cream to see if it helps but it isn't a cure for underlying condition.

You can try baby socks to prevent your dog from licking them. You can also give your dog some Benadryl. The dosage is up to 2 mg per pound every 8-12 hours. Start with 1 mg per pound first and see if it doesn't help the situation and provide your dog with some relief.

Here is a site on dog allergies

If you can keep the chewing to a minimum, it might stop once the visit is done if indeed it is an allergy to something there and not present in your state. Hope this helps.