ERAnimalNurse, Emergency Critical Care Nurse
Experience:  16+ years of veterinary experience

my dog keeps licking her lips why

Customer Question

my dog keeps licking her lips why?
Category: Dog
Expert:  ERAnimalNurse replied 6 years ago.

I am sorry your dog is having trouble.

Is she vomiting? Drooling?

How has her appetite been?

does her belly hurt?

Have you seen any diarrhea?

Let me know and i will try to help....

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

she is drooling? I haven't seen any diarrhea we just got home

Thank you for the additional information. Licking of the lips (called lip smacking) and drooling are both signs of nausea. Vomiting typically follows, and diarrhea can occur as well. There are many, many things that can make a dog nauseated, ranging from systemic illness to ingestion of foreign objects or people food to ingestion of toxins or medicines. If your dog begins to vomit, pull her food and water until morning. If her belly hurts, she develops diarrhea or becomes very lethargic, she may need to be seen by a vet in the morning. It is rare for a dog to experience a bout of nausea for no reason, and unfortunately this kind of thing rarely resolves on its own. Keep a close eye on her and consider having her seen by her vet in the morning for an exam and some anti-nausea medicines. X-rays might also be necessary depending on how she does over night. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. If this has been helpful, please hit the green accept button. Best of luck with your dog :)